[Winry x Reader] there are seriously not enough of these out there wtf guys

Fanart by  タクアン on pixiv. Let me just say, I really love this art style!!

I kind of haven't done reader-inserts in ages, but I've just found out about the shortage of Winry x Readers there are out there?? So I kind of felt obligated to write one since she's my ((*ahemWAIFUahem*)) favorite character, ehh what can I say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This might get lemony but idk how that'll work if I'm trying to keep it gender neutral. So I guess somebody's gonna be out of luck maybe for those parts, but it'll be optional if that happens. Looking back this is probably more of a girlxgirl thing, but if you're a guy or nb then I guess just don't read the smut part, idk man I tried.

You rolled over in bed and sighed. Another morning, same empty bed.

You ran your fingers over the dip in the bed next to you, where your boyfriend Alphonse would wake you up giggling, running his knuckle across your smooth cheek until your face flushed enough to make you cover it with the blanket.

But now, he and his older brother lived in Central permanently. Of course they would come home and visit, but not as often as expected.

You had apprenticed under the nationally renowned automail engineer Winry Rockbell for about two years now, which was how you met the Elrics. They had visited home for a week, mere months after your first training, but it was alchemy between you and Al at first sight. Maybe it was his kindness, or his willingness to listen to everything you had to say, or maybe it was because Ed was taken.

Right, Ed was taken by Winry. Edward was an... interesting  person to say the least, but he was a bit too aloof for your taste. It's not that you disliked him; you just could never hold a standing conversation with the guy. Being such a lighthearted and effervescent person, it almost seemed like it was fate that brought Al and you together. [a/n: while i was looking up synonyms for "lighthearted", I came across the word "blithesome", and, upon closer inspection, the literal definition that thesaurus.com gave me was " blithe-some: adjective. gay." and I completely lost my shit, I was like haha me :') ]

Winry and her grandmother were kind enough to allow you to sleep and eat in one of their guest rooms for free, as your parents were paying to send you off to the Rockbell's rather than *shudder* public school. [would take the Rockbell's over school any day tbqh]

You rolled over to the side of the bed, where you flung your bare legs over the edge and shivered at the cool breeze. "Why did I leave that damn window open..." You slid on your working pants--similar to Winry's--and zipped on your (color) cotton tank top. It was cold now, but working all day could get hot very quickly.

You still couldn't believe that you now apprenticed under Winry, let alone were on friend-terms with her. Because of Edward's fame for being The Fullmetal Alchemist™ at such a young age, it was fantasized all over the public media once finding out that his automail engineer was a teenage girl, and happened to be his childhood friend. And there it was, another perfect match set in stone by fate. Two incredibly talented youths that the public could live vicariously through.

Winry had a few other apprentices in the past, but none had stayed around for as long as you. Despite there being an actual test created by the Rockbells that students were required to pass, most other teenagers lost interest anyway after a few months. Winry never took it personal when kids would drop out, as she just saw it as ending one chapter in life and beginning another. Pinako would roll her eyes, mutter something such as "You kids should just make up your minds..." and take a puff on her pipe.