Elder

An elder is a Clan cat that has served his or her Clan faithfully, but has now retired. They are wise and are held in high respect by the other cats; their counsel and knowledge is sought several times even by Clan leaders, though they are often described as grumpy.

Description

They stay in their den most of the day, and enjoy meeting new kits. However, they may leave the camp if they wish to do so, such as to take a walk to stretch their legs or to hunt. Sometimes, they participate in Gatherings.

Elders are to be held with the utmost respect from cats of all Clans. They have served the Clan well in the past as apprentices and warriors. During their youth, they took care of the elders of their generation. Now, it is their turn to rest, and the youth of the Clan is to take care of them, in honor of all they have done to serve the Clan.

Elders are often susceptible to many diseases and injuries such as greencough and stiff joints. They are often treated by medicine cats and apprentices. They also are more than often tick-ridden, and it is the duty of the apprentices to use mouse bile to remove the ticks.

Tasks

Some tasks elders do are:

• Rub certain herbs on a cat's body when they have passed away to disguise the scent of death.

• Take deceased cats out of camp to bury them.

• Often will tell stories about Clan life as it was when they were growing up.

• They do not have to catch their own food, nor do hunting patrols or fight, except to defend if necessary.

Obtaining the Rank

An elder is usually an elderly cat who cannot do warrior duties any more due to their old age. When a warrior, queen or medicine cat wishes to retire, an Elder Ceremony is held. Sometimes a cat must retire early for reasons beyond their control (for instance a crippling wound, loss of sight etc). Usually if circumstances force a cat into early retirement, they will receive a new name in order to better suit their current state. Elders can also be taken in from being loners or kittypets at an old age, such as Purdy.

Outside of the Clans

BloodClan

BloodClan, the so-called "Clan" from the Twolegplace, does not care for their elders, and makes them hunt and care for themselves. They are not treated with the same respect as Clan elders.

The Tribe of Rushing Water

The Tribe of Rushing Water calls cats who have retired elders as well, and treat them much like Clan elders.

Darktail's Group

Darktail's Group, the band of rouges who drove out Skyclan, only let the strongest cats eat and don't care about their own queens and elders.