The Ripple Effect (Chapter Fifteen)

Zero gritted his teeth.

Damn him.

Damn him straight to the burning flames in hell; because he had to be the biggest hypocrite in the underground right now.

Why did this bother him?
Why did Undyne lying bother him, at all?

It shouldn't bother him.

This was a good thing, after all.
It helped Papyrus not worry so much... and honestly? Getting Papyrus's soul checked out professionally, after that kind of event...? It seemed like a good idea.

Besides, it wasn't like Sans was actually in trouble. Sans, wether they knew it or not, was right here with them. Just as fine as ever.

So why did it feel so fucking bad?

Sans... Zero... no matter what name he went by; he was a liar.

He lied all the time.
It was honestly becoming more of an effort to not lie on reflex, than to just tell the truth.

Sure, his lying... it was for the good of everyone. It saved them the grief of knowing.
The grief of inevitable death.
Of everything good falling through their fingers like grains of sand in an hourglass, just waiting to turn over and reset.

But still. He lied every, damn, day.

And now he had the gall to feel bad when Undyne lied to Papyrus, once or twice? Over something as infinitesimal as him, being alright?
Zero gripped his fists tight-

A hand gently gripped onto Zero's shoulder plate.

Zero jolted at the sudden touch. His soul pulsing, aching through his chest.

Zero wondered, somewhere in the back of his mind, if that pain in his soul was just guilt. Or... or if it had any connection to the similar pain he felt after his nightmare this morning...

"ZERO, ARE YOU QUITE ALRIGHT?" Papyrus spoke up, pulling away his hand.
"EVER SINCE WE GOT OFF THE BOAT YOU HAVE SEEMED... RATHER SPACEY."

Zero gave Papyrus a smile.
"Aw, you calling me a star?"

"I-" Papyrus gaped, "WAS THAT... A PUN?!"

Undyne looked over and let out a half-chuckle.

"Uh, heh," Zero let out a short, unsure laugh. "guess it was?"
Zero rubbed at the back of his neck awkwardly. He couldn't fall into that habit of making jokes. It was too... identifiable. Too Sans-ish.

 "MY BROTHER MAKES THOSE RATHER OFTEN...." Papyrus said, something between a huff and a strong fondness lining his words.

But he did not tell Zero to stop; in fact, he seemed almost... comforted by the familiarity of the bad joke.

Zero had been about to speak, when they arrived at the door. The familiar metal rushing open, greeting them with cool air as soon as they stepped close enough to knock.

The sound felt like someone finally snapping him back into focus.

Zero's small smile faded.

Though he wanted to help his brother through this... There was work to be done here.

Zero needed to pay attention and figure out what was going on. With their souls, with the Followers, with... all of it.