I'm His Maid, He's My Valentine 02

Recap...

I knew without a doubt that Master's presence had changed my life. It was all because of him that every day, I had something to look forward to.

Seeing Josh Newton was all it took to make my day.

Will he ever turn around and look at me the same way?

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

CHAPTER 02

I stood by the dressing table, smoothing out my dress while Jess took her time doing her hair. She finally placed the comb onto the table, glancing at her reflection in the mirror.

"Done?" I asked her, ready to head outside.

She pursed her lips. "There's something wrong with my head today. I've tried tying my hair three times but it's always towards one side."

I moved behind her. "It looks perfectly fine to me," I stated nonchalently, furrowing my eyebrows slightly in confusion.

Jess shook her head, clearly unsatisfied. "I'm going to try again. In the meantime, can you take the dusters out from the storeroom?" A sheepish smile spread across her lips. "I'll be ready in a sec. Promise."

I chuckled quietly and nodded. "Take your time, Jess."

Closing the door silently behind me, I proceeded towards the small storeroom, located several rooms away from the masters' bedrooms. It was still early so the house was utterly quiet at this time of the morning.

Walking past the stairs, I could briefly make out the voices of the girls cooking breakfast, but it was hardly loud enough to wake the Newton family.

I entered the storeroom, switching on the dim light. Opening the doors of the cupboard, I removed two dusters before heading back out to the silent hallway.

"Thanks, Avery!" Jess whispered loudly as I walked over to her.

I smiled and handed her a duster. "You're welcome."

Jess moved over in front of a painting and got to work while I settled in front of the small shelf outside Master Josh's bedroom, being careful not to knock the vases over as I dusted the surface.

"Do we have guests over this week?" Jess asked, giving me a quick glance.

I thought about it for a second. "Yeah, we do actually. The Valisque family are staying for three days starting this Saturday."

Jess sighed. "That means more work for us." I smiled dryly. This wasn't so good since I'd just been given an assignment which was due in five days.

"Morning, ladies."

I twisted around. Master Alex stretched, still wearing grey sweatpants and a white singlet.

"Morning, Master Alex," I said, a split second before Jess.

He proceeded towards the bathroom while I took a step back towards the shelf, making room for the master to get through.

The door to Master Josh's room suddenly opened. He stepped out, wearing what appeared to be identical sleepwear to his younger brother. He yawned and gave me a quick glance. My cheeks betrayed me and flushed furiously.

"Whoa!" Master Alex shrieked, moving towards me. "Are you blushing?" He sounded rather amazed as he looked back and forth between Master Josh and I.

I blushed harder and looked down, feeling panicked. "I-I'm not," I stuttered.

Jess moved towards us in confident strides. "Avery isn't blushing." Her tone was very convincing, at least to my ears. "Why would she be?"

I silently thanked her. Next time, I'll challenge myself to stop the blush from appearing.