Chapter 1: Day one

Jay was having a rather pleasant dream. No one was yelling at her. No dragons were even around her. It was quiet. Peaceful even.

"BlueJay!" a voice cried out.

"Wake up!" the same voice called. Jay reluctantly, opened her eye, looking at a rather angry and annoyed expression on Ravens snout.

Realizing the significance of the day, Jay let out a startled yelp as she tumbled off of the wooden ledge that she used as a bed. Picking herself off of the floor, she looked at Raven once more, a sheepish expression plastered on Jays face.

"S-sorry," Jay muttered, looking at the ground rather than the angry looking white guard, who happened to be her supervisor for the week.

"Its fine, just get to your post," Raven said with a sigh.

And with that, not wanting to risk punishment for waking up late, Jay scampered out of her barracks, towards the flight ledge that her squadron used. Her electric blue wings spread wide, felling the air flowing past the soft feathers that she had carefully groomed before going to sleep each night.

She flew towards the central palace, her own barracks were located in a spire on the eastern side of the palace grounds. Jay let out a sigh, looking back at the flight ledge that jutted out of the structure. Why hadn't Saph woken her up? The other guard trainee had seemed kind enough to wake her up... right?

She was late for the first day! Her first post, and she had managed to botch it. Sapphire should had at least prodded her with a stick to wake her!

It had probably been Finch... that dragon had probably talked Saph out of waking Jay up. But why? Finch was an annoying dragoness, but to sabotage Jay's first day on the job? She honestly had no idea why Finch would try that. They should be working together, as sisters in arms, being apart of the same barracks and all.

BlueJay was so lost in her thoughts she didn't even notice when she landed on the central flight ledge. Her talons clicked on the stone as she grew closer to her post. Perhaps her partner on the job would let her off easy, being her first day and all.

Her pace quickened as she saw the sun, it was one eighth of its full rotation! "I am very late," Jay muttered to herself as she passed the window.

Suddenly, Jay fell into another dragon, their limbs getting tangled together. "Watch where your going!" the guard growled at the other dragon as she untangled herself from the other dragons limbs.

When BlueJay finally got up to look at the other dragon, her jaw almost dropped.

Onyx, the crowned princess of the kingdom, and heir to the throne stood in front of her, a smirk plastered on her snout.

The princess cocked her head, a small smile angled at Jay.

"S-sorry your majesty," Jay stumbled over her own words, finding it hard to vocalize her regret of running into the princess.

Onyx stayed silent, as if she was mulling over what punishment to bestow upon the new guard.

"Its fine," the princess finally spoke, after what seemed like ages. Then, just like that, Onyx glanced behind her shoulder, and rushed down a corridor to her left, vanishing into the shadows.

Jay took no mind on this, shaken from what she had said to the heir of the kingdom so defiantly.

"wonder where she was going," Jay muttered, turning the corner, only to be greeted by more royalty. Prince Sphinx stood in front of her.

"Sorry," She said, changing her direction to walk around him.

"Where is who going?" Sphinx asked, cocking his head to the side with curiosity.
Jay glanced back at the royal prince.

"Just your sister," Jay replied, she was not going to defy royalty again today. It was just her luck, to run into the royal siblings on the same day.

"Oh, Unattainabelle?" he asked with a laugh.

"Listen, Sph-sir, I can't talk right now, I'm already late," Jay stated, then turned tail, heading towards the nearest flight ledge, at least in the air she wouldn't plow over any more royalty... hopefully.

"We should talk about where Unattainabelle was going!" Sphinx called after Jay, but the guard ignored him, not wanting to be any more late than she already was.

Jay let out a sigh, she had finally gotten to her post. The guard across the row was looking at her with a slight rueful gaze. She offered him a sheepish smile. She had almost been a quarter rotation late, hopefully it wouldn't happen again.

                                                                 ***********************         

Jay grinned. She had been relieved from duty and  was now off to find lunch at the market place. Dragons bartered their food and trinkets all around. The smell of cooking meat and vegetables filled the air.

After about half-an-hour Jay finally settled on slices of potato fried in oil. The chef had called it potato crisps.

She sat down at a wooden table, munching away at her lunch.

Suddenly, a figure came up to her table and stole one of the wedges! "You fat pig!" Jay growled at the assailant, looking up to see none other than the crowned prince, Sphinx. With a startled yelp she fell backwards off of the stool she had been sitting on.

Sphinx burst out in laughter, taking yet another piece of her lunch.

"Nice insult there," Sphinx commented, he held out a talon, "you got one hell of a personality,"

Jay grumbled and refused his talon, getting up on her own.

"What are you doing out here anyways? I thought there was a council meeting going on," Jay said as she snatched the rest of her lunch away from his greedy talons. 

Sphinx shifted his weight on his talons, "I uh... Skipped?" he phrased the sentence like a question. Jay payed no heed as she finished the rest of her lunch.

"alright," she said with a shrug. "Well, since your here, I might as well stick with you, so you don't cause any trouble,"

Sphinx gave her a spectacle look,"are you hitting on me, blue?"

"First of all, no. And second of all your blubbering mass of filth needs protection," Jay said, and despite her denial she still found heat rushing to her snout.

"Alright, protect me, my dear knight in shining armor, or should i say dirt?" Sphinx said with a mock bow.

Jay snorted and brushed the dirt off her tail and wings.

"Whatever."

 (A/N: HuHu the first chapter! how do you guys like it?)

CREDITS: Raven: