Chapter 2

I opened my eyes to see the drab ceiling of my cell. I laid on my bed and stared when a loud noise jerked me into attention.

"Get up punk, time to eat."

Hmm,...punk. Haven't I heard that word before?

I was yanked off of my bed and led to the lunchroom.

I walked over to the lunch lady and grabbed my lunch, thanking her with a small smile.

Scanning the cafeteria, I saw my friends, well friend, quietly eating.

I walked over and took a seat near Josh. He's been my friend for as long as I can remember.

He glanced over and gave a small smile, continuing on his grub.

I noticed his arm was badly burnt and his skin was practically peeling off.

Before I could ask Josh what happened, one of the patients across the room was grabbed, bent over, and pinned against the table. About ten or more guards surrounded him and yelled in his face.

"What do you find so fuckin' funny?!"

Poor guy. Something isn't so right with him in the head. I think he has something called the Pseudobulbar affect. He finds practically anything funny, therefore taking nothing seriously.

One of the authoritative figures turned around and yelled to the cafeteria, "What are you guys looking at?! There is nothing to see here! Mind your own fuckin' business!"

Josh and I immediately bowed our heads down to the table to avoid eye contact.

In the corner of my eye, I notice Josh shaking nervously. I reached out to comfort him but he jerked in fright.

His anxiety was gradually getting the best of him.

"Take it slow. Please don't make any sudden moves. They'll take it as misconduct. You don't want to end up like him." I vaguely pointed at the patient.

He reluctantly accepted my touch. I gently ran my thumb across his knuckles in soothing circles. I whispered to him and tried my best to calm him down.

I heard the stomps of the guards' boots fade away as they marched to another section of the asylum.

Josh looked at me with tired and relieved eyes as he nodded.

I retracted my hand and stared down at my food. It's not the best, but it'll do.

*

I looked up from my food and saw my friends staring at my face.

"What are you guys looking at?" I practically grumbled as I rolled my eyes and cradled my face.