Chapter 9

No one seems to have noticed that Gerard was practically going crazy today, well, more so than usual.

He was itching his arms furiously with a look in his eyes that screams nothing but crazy.

It was an ordinary day in the asylum, or so everyone thought.

All peace was about to be burnt down to the ground before they knew it.

Gerard paced his cell back and forth trying his best to keep it together, but to no avail.

He looked outside his cell to see if anyone was looking. He was in for the clear.

He crouched down to the floor reaching his hand down under his bed, sweeping out the pile of leaves, twigs, and rocks he had been collecting for months on end.

It's quite a shame he couldn't keep it together as he did for all of those months. Unfortunately, Gerard just couldn't cope anymore. He needed to do it, and he needed to do it now.

-

I woke up in my cell with a dull pain in my neck.

I laid on my bed, staring at the bland walls.

I sat up and paced my cell wishing that there was something to do, other than stare at the walls of the room.

I wonder how Josh is doing. I hope the guards don't hurt him again. The poor guy has such bad anxiety that his reactions to situations are unpredictable.

He could curl up into a fetal position and block the world out, or he could go on a rampage. It's quite fascinating really.

I rubbed my eyes and took a seat at the edge of my bed and decided to take a nap. It's always a good idea to catch some shut eye.

-

I woke up in a daze. I heard a loud ringing noise.

Is it just me or is the room bright red?

My blurry vision is making me guess that it was probably just another hallucination, well, according to my psychiatrist.

I'm not crazy, I know I'm not.

I closed my eyes to be disturbed yet again. The ringing only got louder and was soon accompanied by the screaming of my fellow heathens.

They frantically shook at the bars of their cells and banged creating a symphony of unpleasant sounds.

My eyes popped open and I started to register my surroundings and the current events.

The asylum was on fire.

-

I immediately shot up and frantically started yelling for my life. We better say our prayers or else we're all going to burn alive in here.

As if someone's prayers were answered, all of the cell doors automatically opened, slamming against the metal frames.

Men swarmed from their cells frantically trying to escape the heat and raging flames, as did I.