Good News

K ing Caedmon, Brave Camp, Western District…

“This is what’s happening,” Caedmon announced quickly. He seemed to be moving at a hundred miles an hour, pacing around the room and speaking so rapidly that he had to take gulping breaths to refuel every fifteen seconds. Cal and Dom stood just inside the locked room and looked at the rest of the members of Caedmon’s meeting.

                Caedmon’s brothers stood together across the room. Sebastian had a drink in one hand and was still covered in the mud from his wrestle with one of the Rebel commanders. To the side of them were Creedwater and Jonas, standing silently and attentively as ever to Caedmon. Waiting more uncomfortably by the wall next to the door were Jaz and Lex. Lex’s uniform was torn from a skirmish with one of the Rebels, but she was otherwise unhurt.

                “Dom,” Caedmon whirled around, pointing at the shell-shocked teen, “We need to know whose side you’re on. And the only way I can conceive of to deal with it quickly is to take you to the Oracles and have them tell you the second half of your fate. But because I don’t want to make fifty dangerous and risky trips to the Capitol, the rest of you are coming with us.” Caedmon spun back to face the older men, “Except for you two. You’re only here so you can get clued in on what’s happening.”

                “Wait, King Caedmon,” Jonas interjected desperately, “what if you’re caught? If you’re caught the war is over! The Rebels will have you, our king, and the only to people that can replace you!”

                “I know, but I’m risking one trip and not two, Jonas,” Caedmon said. He turned to Sebastian and Zander, anticipating their questions before they left their mouths. “You two are coming because if there is ever a time for the Oracles to tell you anything it would be now, during a war.” Caedmon turned to Lex and he saw the girl whom he’d fought alongside with countless times in the past six months.

                ‘She’s talented. I can’t see her being anything other than a Brave. I can’t even count how many times our situations have been flipped onto their heads, and every time it is always her who shakes of the confusion and adapts to it first.’ Caedmon imagined her torn uniform decorated extravagantly with badges of honor and high ranking.

                “You, Alexandria Peck, are headed down a career path that will take you to the Oracles’ pool. That is why you’re coming.” Caedmon faced Cal Campbell. He held Caedmon’s gaze respectfully, yet still with the rookie-like fear behind his eyes.

                ‘I almost didn’t recognize the Briar Farms swimmers last night,’ Caedmon thought. ‘For a moment I actually thought he had traded the whole group for Delphinia’s finest and nothing less. Cal turned those recruits into subaquatic weapons of mass destruction. He’s going to be a commander, I can see it already. He’s made the list—right now he practically owns the list.’

                “And you, Cal, are walking down the same path as Lex. You’re coming in case the Oracles have anything to say to you.” Caedmon turned lastly to Jaz Campbell, whose future Caedmon had yet to fully decipher. He was still fourteen, and was only allowed to enlist because the Braves needed more soldiers in the dawn of Delphinia’s civil war. But Caedmon knew his three older brothers would be—were to be, in Russ’ case—famous and infamous one day. He could only assume it was in their genes.

                “Same goes for you Jaz. Even though I am positive I have not yet seen your full potential, I am sure that fame runs in your family. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least to see the Oracles call you to the pool and tell us all just what will make you like your brothers.” Jaz blushed and looked at his feet.