Anxious

Green stared out the window, trying to ignore the tugging feeling in his heart. His eyes were locked onto the Champion of Kanto.

Red, he thought. Seriously?

"Three months of persuading, threatening, and traveling up that stupid mountain for this?!" yelled Blue, voicing Green's thoughts.

Currently, Green's eyes were on the little tournament Red had formed in the center of town.

The Champion's visit had meant to be a vacation from Mt. Silver's harsh environment, but leave it to read to stage an impromptu competition. Kids and adults had gathered, either to watch or participate.

Green watched from inside a small cafe. Blue was with him, having said something about it being too cold outside.

Red looked so full of life, more than Green had seen him in weeks. The mountain seemed to drain the Champion of spirit, but battling brought it back again.

Right now, the black-haired boy was showing a five year-old how to properly throw a poke ball. Two tweens were having a battle, trying to get Red's attention.

Green sighed. Everything was so different from when they were younger, when they could just wander the world as they pleased. They hadn't had to worry about reputations, or relationships. Or-

"The future," Blue said. "What kind of future will we make, right?"

It was if she could read his mind.

"You're a Gym Leader, Red's a Champion. It's like we never have time for each other. One day you two will move so far ahead, I'll never catch up." Blue rolled her eyes. "That's life for you."

Green smiled. "No, I'm pretty sure you'll come with us."

"Aw, Greenie, that's so sweet! I can't belie-"

"As comic relief."

Blue gave him a blank stare. Then:

"You think I'm funny? How cute, that's adorable. It's actually one of my best traits, y'know? Anyway-" Blue rambled on. Green ignored her, choosing to watch the event outside.

Everything was fine. No evil organizations, no egomaniacs, no natural disasters.

Despite it all, Green felt anxious as he stared at the people. They were too carefree. Something was going to go wrong. Something always went wrong.

But for now, he'd try to relax. It wasn't the Dex Holders' job to save the world, no matter how much it seemed to be.

Turning back to Blue, he leaned against his chair and listened to her talk about something irrelevant.

Everything would be fine. They would make it be.