Chapter Forty-four

Yavenna

Shortly before noon, Channa came to find Yavenna. Ten Dryads were waiting for them with Giryan, the Talahund and Gared. Yavenna ignored Gared, choosing instead to stand next to Giryan so she could hear what he was saying to Digheldan.

"Layeith, would you accept my counsel?" he asked quietly.

"Yes, Giryan, speak."

"Would it not be wise to armor your people fully, Lord? I fear that if we arrive at Gelenburg and their advice is not accepted they may have need of it."

"We are expecting Ulric to take our advice, Giryan. My people are travelling in peace. Were they to arrive heavily armored," and at that point he cast a disapproving glance over Giryan's and Channa's armor, "it would send the wrong message to the King."

"...even on the journey, Lord, for their own protection. Any soldiers we meet will not know that they are peace envoys."

"The matter is closed, Giryan. I bid you a swift journey. Run swiftly, and think wisely." He stepped over to Ryandor who was in charge of the envoys, and laid his open palm upon her forehead, "May Esa bless your mission." Then glancing quickly at the others, he stepped over a fallen branch and strode off towards the hall.

The party set off at a swift pace; the Dryads carrying bows and short swords, but wearing no armor. Despite the tension of the occasion, Yavenna couldn't stop herself from humming as she smiled at Channa. A whole day of running, and with someone who wanted to be her friend.

But after the first mile or so, the Princess noticed she didn't feel quite right. Checking herself, she looked behind, then suddenly realised. She hadn't put her pendant back on. Stopping for a moment, Yavenna grabbed it from her pack and pulled it over her head, tucking it inside her mail shirt before sprinting on. Was it her imagination or had putting the pendant on made her run faster? Surely, she was just glad to be wearing it again? But no, suddenly she had to make herself run more slowly than she wanted, or she would've overtaken the Dryads and gone streaming out beyond them.

Gared, riding on Kelten, was directly ahead. He turned around once to look at her, and without meaning to, she lifted her hair from her shoulders, so for a moment the mass of it billowed, gleaming, below her helmet. He stared at her, his expression unreadable, then swivelled back.

As the Dryads wove through the trees Yavenna gawped at their feet. Were they running? They almost looked like they were floating through the undergrowth. Once she'd noticed this it mesmerized her and she couldn't take her eyes off their legs. A few of the Dryads started to sing, and Yavenna tried to make out the words of their song, but then she realized they were singing in another language. Their voices merged together into a thrumming harmony, so she felt lulled almost to sleep, and then just as her eyelids started to close, the song became rousing and triumphant.

They left the city, and gradually the fruit trees and beech trees were replaced by firs and pines.

"We're nearly at the edge of the forest now, friends, and we've left our realm" said, Ryandor, who was leading the party. "We'll travel some two thirds of the way to Gelenburg today and then stop briefly overnight. We should arrive at the capital around noon tomorrow."

Back to Gelenburg! Yavenna reached for her pendant. There was no way she would be able to go inside the walls of the city. She'd have to wait outside somewhere.

She heard a noise she couldn't place and in front of her the Talahund stopped abruptly. A second later a soldier stepped from the trees, crashing his sword down on Yxmet's neck. The wolf collapsed. The world stopped for an instant. Then the Talahund leapt to surround Yxmet and Channa sprang to anoint him with Elixir. But it was too late. Yavenna's blood ran cold. He was dead.