Prologue: Honeysuckle

Life was simpler when we were just kids. It got more complicated the better we go to know eachother, and even more so, the older we got. Ash came and went, little Bonnie left the region for who-knows-how-long. Well, she's not so little anymore. She's actually very beautiful, I felt like crying when she cut her hair like mine just becuause she looks up to me that much. That's the problem, I'm not a good rolemodel, anymore. I don't want a naive sixteen year old girl to look up to me. I don't want her to do the things I did. I don't want her boyfriend to have to deal with another Serena. Serena is my name, and I made too many mistakes.

Ash Ketchum made my twelve year old heart shake. He was two years older than me, he had admirable muscle tone in his arms and a sweet smile. Too good. He was too good. And it was too good to think that we would end up as a married couple living out our happily ever after. People fall in and out of love. Sometimes people aren't compatiable. Sometimes people are too compatiable.

I had it all planned out in my head - me, a happy mother, him, a happy father. We would have money and a nice house. I thought about what we would name our children. Pathetic for a twelve year old who was madly in love with a fourteen year old boy whose home was miles across the ocean. Well, who thought she was in love. Maybe I was in love with Ash. Maybe I wasn't. Maybe I still am. Who the heck knows?

If I had a girl, I would call her Bonnie, after one of the sweetest and kindest young girls I'll ever meet. I hope she falls in real love. I hope she ends up happy. I pray that she doesn't mess it all up like I did.

Ash came back to Kalos when he was nineteen, I was seventeen. It was my Christmas party, I had invited Iris and Cilan, I didn't know them all too well, but they were a lovely couple. Full of energy and life. You could tell in the way they looked at eachother that they were well and truly crazy about eachother. It made me wonder if that was what Ash and I looked like to an outsider looking in.

Clemont and Bonnie were there too, of course. Bonnie had recently turned eleven and her hormones were just sarting kick in. Her older brother, just a few months younger than me, had told me about all of the boyband posters and bubblegum pop cds her bedroom was littered with. We teased her about it for hours. 

Clemont had an unusual body shape, he wasn't just outright toned like Ash. He was oddly pear-shaped for a male. His eyesight has just gotten worse. So he still wears those glasses that make him look like Harry Potter.

Ash proposed to me on that day. Bonnie squealed before I could even speak.  I, a young fool, said yes, unaware of what was really happening and what the consequences would be.