19. Heart to Heart

"A 5, a 6, a 7 and 8..." I count down as the music begins. I take my cue once I reach the number eight:

Fan kick

Triple pirouette

Split down in a defeated way

Reach out to audience

Chin stand

Pretend to push away a wall slowly

Front ariel to left side of stage

Piqué turn

Split leap to centre stage

Straddle jump

Front walk over

Double fouettes

Lunge to the floor

Double backhand spring into layout

One handed front walk over

Pirouette à la seconde

Lunge to the floor

Backbend kickover then finish in a tilt

I remain in the tilt for a few seconds before stepping out into second position. That dance went quite well, if I do say so myself. It's the first part of my dance that I'll perform for my audition. I've almost perfected it but should have it down-pat by the time the audition rolls around. Speaking of...

"Only one day left," I whisper aloud.

"One day left for what?" A familiar male voice questions, piping up from out of nowhere.

I turn around in a flash and find Josh leaning against the door with a rather satisfied smile plastered on his face. Frowning, I walk over to the mirror and barre.

"What are you doing here?" I snap.

"Thought I'd find you here," he simply says. "One day left for what?"

"Jeeze, you sound like a broken record," I quip as I place my feet in first position then do a demi-plié.

I feel his eyes stare intently at my face. Ignoring it, I continue my barre exercises. I gracefully stretch back up to first position by rising slowly, pulling my inner thighs together to keep the body alignment. I bring my knees back together, straighten and stretch back to first position.

Remaining in first position, I let out a sigh. "My audition," I answer, gritting my teeth.

I then slide my right foot ahead of my left foot, making the the distance about a length of my foot, to form the fourth ouverte position. I then do a grand-plié by fully bending my knees to create a diamond shape while making my thighs turn horizontal. As I go down, I place my heels firmly on the floor. I form a skinny diamond shape with my knees, being careful not to sit on my heels when I'm down. I then rise gracefully back up.

"I'm sure you'll ace it. I saw you dance just then. It... It looked incredible. You're really talented," he smiles and walks over towards the stereo. He looks down as he adds: "Just like your mother."

I admit, I'm taken off guard by his compliment to mum. I'm not exactly used to hearing him sing her praises. I turn my head to face Josh for a brief moment. I then turn my back on him and place my right foot atop the barre and bend at the waist.

"I know I haven't been the best father and it may be difficult for you to believe me but... I'm serious. You really have a natural talent for dancing. It reminds me a lot of your mother," he says, sadness creeping in his voice.