Chapter 8

The smell of rot seeped it's way through the cracks of the tent.

The screams outside were louder than ever, echoing through the king's field.

If I'm right, shadowrunners infiltrated the court and are running amuck outside. We're not safe in this tent, the only thing separating the Shaman and me from the dark creatures is a pathetic piece of fabric.

" We need to get out of here" I stated

My hands were trembling. My whole body was trembling.

I glanced at the old man, preparing a concoction at a table. He mustn't have heard me. Now really wasn't the time for him to absorb himself in his work unless it's a super badass poison or something.

I closed the distance between us and shouted over the piercing screams of the residents.

" What the hell's going on?!"

Will left, leaving us defenseless. I had my karate skills, but if that was the only thing protecting us, I ain't never meeting Johnny Depp. I wiped the tears streaming down my face and shook the grandpa's shoulder frantically

" Do you have any ninja skills to defend us? What about a super kickass weapon? What do we do? We can't just cower here!"

He was still ignoring me, murmuring, mixing and crushing herbs into a bowl. What a help he was.

I paced around the room, trying to find any weapon. I felt useless just standing here. People could be dying right now. I needed a weapon to defend us , if ever a threat decided to come in here.

Finding nothing, I flipped a table and snapped a wooden leg. I took a shard of glass that clashed to the ground and strapped it tightly to my leg, tearing a strap of a pillowcase to keep it in place. Ok, so I now had a wooden stick the size of a baseball bat and a piece of glass to protect us.Not so bad.

I tied the pillowcase around my face, preventing me from inhaling the stink and hurling all over the floor. Peering outside through a crack in the tent's entrance, I witnessed the carnage taking place 10 feet from me.

It was the first time I saw shadowrunners. They seemed to be engulfed in - darkness. Pitch black , smoldering shadows surrounded their rotten bodies, eyes glowing with an eerie shade of murky dark green.A number of them terrorized the court subjects, while others headed somewhere , sticking together. An armful of fae soldiers were fighting against them, my friends nowhere in sight. And the worst of all, Bodies, human bodies, laid on the grass, immobile.
Dead.

A sob escaped my lips. I stumbled to the middle of the tent, trying to put distance between me and the battle scene.

Where the hell is Will? And Assana?

I'm terrified. Tears once again blurred my vision and I quickly wiped them away. This isn't the time to cry, it's time to be strong. I can't die yet. No, it's not my time.

I jolted as movement outside made the sides of the tent flutter.

" Nesta" the Shaman whispered in my hear, his hot breath making me jump.

I spun around and he held a bowl, smoke steaming from it.

" Remember child " the grandpa said close enough so I could hear" you cannot accomplish anything alone. Hear nature's melody, seek its dance"