Chapter 9

"I've heard that they're usually invisible, impossible to catch."

"I caught one."

I glanced up to see a lanky human standing before my cage. His skin was darker than the hunters', a dusky brown. He was wearing a dark grey uniform of some kind with a black scarf tied tight around his neck. I scowled at him. He smiled weakly back. His young brown eyes carried a touch of sadness with them.

"Can she...protect?" He glanced back up to the hunter behind me.

I began to open my mouth and say that no, I definitely could not, that was Grey's magic, when the hunter cut me off.

"Of course she can! I suppose you're headed out to Cannehol?"

"Oh good...and yes."

I rolled my eyes. If they didn't want my answer, they wouldn't have it.

"Nasty business out there, glad I'm not wrapped up in that mess."

The man gave a small shrug and began fishing for a pouch in his pack. "I've heard of some making it back alive. Can't be too bad." He didn't sound too convinced at his own words.

"Well, this faerie here will definitely help you get out. Where are you from?"

"Wimborne."

I shivered. One of the faery-marm's favourite stories to scare the saplings with was about a horrible place called Wimborne. If this man came from there then no wonder he looked so sad.

"Volunteer then? Good man."

A pouch of metal was dropped on the table.

"Ah, thank you very kindly, sir!" The hunter scooped up the pouch nearly the same second it dropped on the table. "Here you are then, all yours." He passed a piece of paper over to the other man who read it with a frown, mumbling under his breath.

I shivered again, feeling the tug of my magic slide from one man to the other. All of a sudden the top of the cage was popped open and the man's hand reached in to scoop me out. I was too shocked to do anything else but let myself be picked up.

The last I ever saw of the hunter he stood there behind a table full of cages counting out bits of metal as if he were counting out the crumbs of his very last meal. He didn't look up to see me leave. He was happy to be rid of him and the feeling was definitely mutual. At the same time, he was my only reminder of home. My only glimmer of hope that one day I would go back.

My eyes widened as I was placed gently onto the man's shoulder. I grabbed the scarf to steady myself.

"My name's Zann." He spoke softly without looking at me as he slowly stepped through the crowd. "Can you speak?"

I nodded, then as an afterthought added "Yes."

"Good. You can call me Zann."

It was then that I noticed there was a stick attached to his back beside his pack. It was a carved stick, smooth and polished. He tapped the bottom of it with his right hand as he walked.

Some people caught sight of me in the crowd and stared and pointed. I pointed back at them with a shocked expression which set them all slightly confused.

Zann seemed nice enough. Against cages which was definitely a plus. I didn't much like the sound of heading to this Cannehol place though. Even if he managed to make it out of that alive (if he doubted it, why should I believe he would make it?) then most likely I'd be dragged back to the horrible city of Wimborne.

Time to get to work.

"So, you need me to protect you, right?"

He nodded.

I clapped my hands together. "Well! You'll need to allow me to use magic then."

Zann turned his head to look at me, nearly knocking me off his shoulder. "We're not there yet, I don't -"

"Yes," I cut in and tapped him on the cheek. There there. Treel has it all under control. "But what if someone thinks to attack you now? The enemy, what if they find you sticking out with that fancy uniform of yours?" I guessed there was some sort of enemy. Places people went dressed in uniform with little ability to get out alive generally had enemies.

I pushed away the thought of Rowan probably fighting at that moment. He'd be dressed all smartly in his uniform just like Zann. I still had no idea why he would have gone to such a silly thing as a war. The hobgoblins were hardly even a problem. Boredom? Zann's worries didn't seem fueled by boredom.

"I suppose...you won't do anything else but protect me though, right?"

I held up a hand to my heart. "Faerie's honour."

"Treeline, you may use your magic."

I grinned. It wasn't a kind grin. It was a grin that spoke of days, weeks trapped inside a cage with nothing to do but wish harm on the race that enslaved you.

The crowd started thinning as we were reaching the edge of the marketplace. It was a shame, really, but we hadn't left yet.

I blinked. The wind twirled around me, an old friend once again reunited. Zann obviously hadn't the first clue of magic or what it meant to trap a faerie. What he should have said was that I could use my magic to protect him (though even that, I could easily find things to be possible dangers) but instead by stating I could use it, that was free reign. As long as I didn't bring any harm to my new master, I was fine to do anything else.

Eight tiny hummingbirds formed in the air before my face. One by one they flew forward to my mouth where I whispered into their ears. Zann didn't notice a thing, so stuck was he in his thoughts of woe. The hummingbirds sped off.

Eight tables throughout the marketplace. Candles, bread, meat, cloth, spices, books, glassware, and a table with cages of animals.

Eight tables exploded into the air.

Shouts and screams shook the market as people dove for cover. Zann ducked and pulled the stick from his back. I struggled to hold onto his scarf through my laughing.

"Wait, was that you? Did you do that?" Zann's face was one of complete horror and shock.

I could hardly breathe from laughing so hard.

"How could you? People are hurt now." He stood back up and rushed to the closest table, pulling it off an elderly woman. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," He was saying over and over again. Blood oozed from a gash in her forehead.

I didn't care. I suppose I should have. Humans were so fragile, it was great. My master still hadn't caught on either as he was so concerned trying to bandage up the lady's head. He didn't tell me to stop.

Once again, the air shimmered around me.