Revenge!

"Natasha"

The tone of Steve Rogers sounds different somehow.

Natasha glances up from her tablet.

"What are you doing for dinner tonight?"

The question startles her and she gapes at him "A-are you asking me out?"

Steve grins "More or less".

"Um" Natasha searches his face.

   He couldn't be serious! After all my attempts to pair him with other girls!

"Suuuure! What time?" She pastes a nonchalant expression on her face.

"How about six?"

   Maybe I should have said no!

- - -

Bucky squints at Steve who is struggling with his tie "You what?"

"Romanoff?" Sam echoes "That girl would-"

"Would what?" Steve's tone makes it clear that neither of them should question his decision.

Sam doesn't take the hint "I didn't think Romanoff was your type."

Steve frowns "I have a type?"

Bucky presses his lips together.

Don't say Peggy! Don't say Peggy! Bad idea! You speak, I end you, Wilson!

"It's just odd. That's all." Bucky shrugs " I thought you would find someone sweeter. A bit more feminine. Someone who would ogle your super soldier physique."

"Ha ha!" Steve shoves his friend "Why don't you try finding a date? Last I checked you were real smooth with the ladies."

"Ladies, yes" Bucky says pointedly "But they're a lot harder to find these days."

"Then try the nursing home" Steve taunts "I'm sure you could find someone"

Sam spits and has to turn away to control himself.

"Little punk" Bucky shoves him back.

"Jerk."

- - - -

Clint squirms in his seat.

You know this is making him uncomfortable, but you asked him here and in the moment he wasn't strong enough to say no.

"What's wrong, Clint?" You pout.

"Look, Y/N" he says, seriously "I don't know if this is gonna work out!"

You play with your salad fork "What's gonna work out?"

"This... this... You and me." He looks frustrated and you have to swallow your laughter.

"Why not?" You lean toward him "Am I not good enough?"

He doesn't answer and his eyes widen in shock.

"Clint?" You turn "What's going on?"

Natasha looks as miserable as you've ever seen her. Steve is speaking to the maître de, and he seems oblivious to her discomfort.

"Is that Captain America with Nat?" You look at Clint with wide eyes "I never got to thank him."

You get to your feet, but Clint's hand covers yours "Why don't we talk?"

"Talk?" You ask, feigning confusion.

"About our lives. You know, what do you do for work?" Clint scratches his neck.

"Clint, I've known you forever. You know what I do. Why won't you let me say hi?"

He looks like he's about to burst a blood vessel "It's complicated. Look, can we just enjoy dinner?"

"That's what I wanted to do" you frown "But you got all weird."

"Sorry, Y/N" Clint clenches and unclenches his fists "I couldn't figure out what to say."

"What we're you gonna say?"

Clint twirls the butter knife between his fingers, a nervous habit of his "Well, there's this girl-"'

"There's someone else, isn't there" You blurt "Why didn't you tell me before you let me ask you to dinner?"

Clint looks apologetic "I'm sorry, Y/N!"

You're on your feet now "That's the most insensitive think you've ever done to me, Clint Barton! I thought we were friends!"

Tears spring to your eyes and you scramble toward the ladies room.

"Y/N!" Clint stands up and looks after you then sinks into his seat and covers his eyes.

Natasha has noticed him by now and she's furious.

"Excuse me, Steve" she says tight-lipped.

His pale blue eyes look worried "Is everything okay?"

She glances over at Clint "I don't know."

Steve frowns "What's he doing here? Did you tell him we were going out?"

Natasha is taken aback, and slightly PO'ed "No, he's not involved in my love life, Rogers.l."

With that she storms over to Clint and sits down across from him.

With a sigh, Steve gets up and walks out, the door slamming behind him.

His car is parked on the end of the the lot next to Clint's.

   You're already there, brushing away a stray tear.

"I think that was a little over the top, Y/N!" Steve shakes his head, but he's grinning.

You brush away a strand of hair "I did a lot of theater in high school. Besides, they have to realize their feelings for each other sooner or later."

"She's never gonna forgive me now!" Steve opens the passenger door for you.

"Oh, she will" you laugh at him "Eventually."