Chapter Two

Chapter Two

The next day, I was walking to tutor when Brittany Lucas stepped in front of me, blocking my path.  Elaina Ellis and Sarah Blight were either side of her, arms on their hips.  Brittany scowled at me through her make-up caked eyelashes and stepped forwards.

“Look, I know you’re new, so I’m going to let it slide just once.  But just so you know, nobody says ‘no’ to me, OK?” She plastered on a fake smile, yet her face was still threatening.  When I didn’t answer, she continued. “So, let’s try it again.  You’re coming to sit with us today, right?” She said slowly, as if she was talking to a two year old.  I stepped forwards with my arms crossed.

“NO THANKYOU.” I said, just as slowly and patronisingly.  Britt’s fake smile slid right off her face, and even under the centimetres of makeup, I could see her cheeks redden.  We appeared to have attracted quite a crowd, and in there was Seth and Adam, as well as a bunch of their friends.  They were all stifling their laughs, but when Brittany glared at them in an attempt to get them to stand up for her, they just shrugged and sauntered off to tutor. 

“Excuse me.” I said quietly, as I slipped past the dumbfounded girl, and closed my ears to the mouthful of abuse she sent after me. 

“I’m sorry, say again?  You told her no, AGAIN?”  Liz gawped when I told her about my ‘encounter’ with Brittany. 

“Yes, I just don’t see what the big deal is...” I mumbled, shrugging. 

“The big deal is that she needed putting in her place.” An unfamiliar voice came from behind me, followed by a supportive slap on the shoulder.  I turned to see that Seth and Adam has moved over to the seats behind me and Liz. 

“Yeah, did you see the look on her face?” Seth chuckled, as he mimicked the look of disgust on Brittany’s face.  This set Adam off too.  I looked at Liz and raised an eyebrow, were they always like this?

“I’m sorry, but aren’t you supposed to be her friends?” I asked them, nodding to the girl who just walked in with a face that could turn milk sour.  Adam snorted – attractive.

“Friends?  Hell no.  She’s dating Harry, and he’s like our bro, so we have to put up with her.” Seth muttered resentfully, but the way he spoke about Harry gave me the impression that they were pretty good friends.  Well, they’d have to be good friends if they agreed to put up with Brittany. 

Tutor was fun, Seth and Adam made jokes the whole way through, which broke the initial tension.  They were actually pretty cool guys, I just didn’t notice before when they were hanging around Brittany.

My first lesson today was photography, like yesterday– I was so excited.  I really enjoyed it, being behind a camera was so much more interesting than just looking at the world.  With a camera, you can zoom in and have eagle-like vision, which is always fun.  And with a photograph, you notice things that you didn’t see before; like today, after taking a photo of a bird in a tree, I noticed Adam pulling a messed up face in the background.  The whole lesson was like that, us messing around with the camera, but we actually managed to get some pretty nice shots. 

My next lesson was Art, which I shared with Liz.  We were supposed to be doing still life of a bowl of fruit, but mine honestly looked shocking.  Especially since Liz, who was next to me, had drawn hers so that it looked like a flipping photograph! 

By the time I got home, I couldn’t help but grin from ear to ear.  Going to school, after being homeschooled for so long, it felt amazing.  The only people I socialised with before were mum, Sherlock and John...not the best group of people.  When I walked in, Sherlock was immediately in my face.  He didn’t say anything, he just stared into my eyes – trying to read me.  I did what mum taught me, and that was to keep my face emotionless.  Sherlock sighed and turned away.

“Why do you have to be JUST like your mother?” He muttered resentfully, making Jo look up from her book and scowl.

“Thanks.” She said sarcastically, before turning to me and smiling. “How was your day?”

“Great.” I launched into how Brittany was being bitchy, and how the guys were really cool.  Mum didn’t approve of the way I acted towards Brittany, but I didn’t care.  She needed putting in her place.  We talked for a while, which was nice because we hadn’t spoken properly for ages – I’d always been too angry with her for not letting me go to school. 

“Oh, by the way, I’m going to the shopping mall with some friends on Saturday...is that OK?” I asked mum, hoping that she’d say yes.  I really wanted to go: Seth invited me and Liz to go with a bunch of his friends, and it sounded like fun.  Mum’s face looked pained for a moment, and I honestly thought she’d say no.  But then:

“OK.” She said quietly.  My mouth literally hit the floor. 

“Thankyou!” I squealed and hugged her tightly.

Sherlock

Jo plastered on a fake smile as Lana turned to walk away, but as soon as Lana was out of the room, her smile slipped.  She took a deep breath and rubbed her temples.

“Something wrong?” I asked innocently – I knew exactly what was wrong, I just wanted to hear her say it.  She looked up at me, her face terrified. 

“What do I do?” She whispered, her eyes darting around like a deer in headlights.  I sat back in my seat.

“There’s not much you can do, you’ve already agreed to her going.  Just let her go.” I told her, waving a hand dismissively.  Jo scowled at me.

“But it’s dangerous.” She began, but I cut her off.

“So is crossing the road, but you let her do that on her own.  Why should this be any different?” I asked her, and for once she was silent.

Lana

I slipped on my navy hoodie and brushed my hair once more.  There.  I walked down the stairs and slipped my knee-length boots on over my skinny jeans, and picked my handbag up.

“Bye.” I called out, and was just about to step out when mum came rushing around the corner.

“Wait!  I’ll drive you!” She said quickly, shrugging on her coat. 

“That’s OK, I’ll get the bus-“

“No, I’ll drive you.” She was persistent.  Even I knew it was stupid to drive a car at this time, through London.  It would take longer, but I still agreed.  I didn’t want to push my luck. 

“You got your pepper spray?” Mum asked, making me roll my eyes.

“Yes, it’s right here next to my mace and my stun-gun.” I told her sarcastically.  She shot me a warning glare.

“Just...be careful.” She told me, her voice was pained.  I instantly felt bad – it must be hard on her, me wanting to be this independent.

“I will, I promise.  We’re only going shopping.” I told her, putting my hand on hers.  She smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes.  She parked the car outside the mall, and I could see a group of people I recognised. 

“Thanks.” I told her, and kissed her cheek before slipping out of the car.  I walked towards the group of people, and saw Seth, Liz and Adam.  Adam was flirting with Liz, making her blush bright red.  Seth was trying to knock him out of it, but to no avail.  There was one other guy, and a girl there too, that I didn’t recognise. 

“Hey Lana.” Liz smiled and quickly walked over to me, to get away from Adam’s flirty comments. 

“Lana, this is Harry McAdams and Mia Jacobsen, guys, this is Lana Williams.” Seth introduced us, and I shook Mia’s hand.  I then looked at Harry who looked frozen.  He had dark brown hair that came to just above his eyes, and deep green eyes. 

“Um, hi.” I smiled politely, which snapped him back to reality.  He smiled widely and shook my hand.

“Hey.”   And with that, we all walked into the mall.

--------------------------------------

Well, life seems to be going well for Lana, eh?  Not for long ehehehe :P Vote and comment your opinions please :)