Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Lana

Numb. I felt nothing. All around me was darkness. I was weightless, floating through the unconscious. Is this what death feels like? It was awfully peaceful, but I was grateful. Anything is better than rotting in that basement. My silence was broken by a beeping, so soft I wasn't sure if it was there or a delusion formed by my slipping mind. But then it grew louder, and stronger. It was becoming more frequent, and with every beep came a light. Closer, closer, until the light was blinding. I heard voices as well, and feeling returned to my body. I was on a bed, the crisp sheets were cool beneath my body. My legs ached, and felt heavy. My arms were filled with a dull ache as well. My eyes were shut, and no matter how I tried, they would not open.

"She's coming around." An unfamilliar voice announced my state of consciousness.

"Are you sure?" Another piped up.

"Her readings have increased." The first voice said in a patronising tone.

"Yes but she hasn't opened her eyes or shown any other signs of waking up."

I drowned them out and focussed on opening my eyes. I listened to the beating of my weak heart, and willed it to go stronger, to give me the energy to open my eyes and find out where I was. With every second that passed, my heartbeat began to falter. My legs returned to being numb and the ache in my arm subsided. The bright light faded away, the voices dissipated and the faint sound of slow beeping lulled me back to sleep.

Sherlock

I sat in one of the cushioned seats by the window of Lana's recovery room. She was still 'asleep', yet Jo insisted on staying by her bedside in case she woke. Sleep was the wrong word for her state; she was somewhere between sleep and a coma. She was deeper than the common standby mode we humans fall into during the night, but the doctors didn't believe she was quite at the stage of a coma. Nevertheless, wherever she was it would be difficult for her to come back while she is as weak as she is. Jo wouldn't listen to the doctor's advice that she'd be unconscious for a few days at least. A mother's grief was something I couldn't understand, but it changed Jo. She would barely talk, her skin had paled and she refused to move from Lana's bedside.

"Hey." John walked into the room with three coffees. He walked over and handed me one, before placing one in Jo's hand. She glanced at him, opened her mouth to speak but no words were there. John sighed slightly, he was helpless. I could tell he wanted nothing more than to help Jo, but right now the only person that could help her was Lana. I stood up and walked out of the room, and made my way to the exit.

"Where are you going?" John called out as he jogged up to match my pace. I paused for a moment and looked down at his tired face.

"To talk to the police, I want to speak to Joshua." I told him plainly, before continuing.

"Sherlock wait." John grabbed my arm to stop me. "Don't you want to talk about what happened?" I frowned, not quite understanding what he was referring to. He sighed deeply. "About Irene?" He spoke more quietly. I felt a small lump in my throat and my chest felt heavy, but I took a deep breath and that disappeared.

"There's nothing to talk about." I told him sternly, before walking out of the hospital.

"I don't see what the problem is!"

"I can't give you access, Sherlock! Even though we owe this capture to you, you're a civilian and therefore cannot speak to the suspect!" Donovan told me for the third time. I gritted my teeth and looked her in the eye.

"Sally, my best friend's daughter is unconscious with no signs of waking up. The one woman I cared about died in my arms. Another girl is dead. The two other children escaped. That boy in there is the only way I am going to get some answers, and believe you me I will get them. Five minutes, that's all I'm asking for! After everything I've done, all I want is five minutes. Please." I practically begged her. Her face softened and she sighed deeply.

"Five minutes." She said quietly, obviously affected by my little speech. When she turned her back to lead me to Joshua, I couldn't help but smile. Ordinary people were so easy to persuade. They let their emotions get the better of them. Never let your heart take charge over your head; I always followed my head.

Donovan led me to a small room, spoke to the security guards quietly, and when they walked away she opened the door.

"I'm afraid I cannot let you be alone with him." She apologised. I nodded, fully understanding - it wouldn't surprise me if all the police officers thought that I was kill him if I was alone with him; I'd be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed my mind. But, if he was dead then I'd never get any information from him.

I followed her into the small room and locked eyes with Joshua. His eyes were glazed slightly, and he had the same vacant expression as his father. He was handcuffed to a small table. I sat in the chair on the other side whilst Donovan stood behind me. His resemblance to his father was so extreme that I had to blink a few times to register that the boy in front of me was not in fact James.

"Mr Holmes." Joshua nodded a hello, a sickly grin etched onto his face.

"Mr Moriarty." I returned the pleasantries, but without a smile.

"How's the missus?" He laughed sarcastically, but I frowned in confusion. The missus? I glanced behind me at Donovan who shifted uncomfortably.

"He means Miss Adler." She whispered, making me clench my jaw. Upon doing this, Joshua laughed harder. He was hysterical, completely insane. I shook my head and blanked my face, I wouldn't let him show that his words could affect me.

"How's your brother and sister? The ones who betrayed you and left you behind." I smiled at the reaction to my reply; the laughter stopped immediately, and was replaced by a deathly glare.

"Better only one of us gets caught than all of us." He tactfully evaded my question - now it was my turn to smile.

"Yes, but do remember that they put the other girl's body in the body bag, and tricked you into thinking it was Lana. I suppose you had given the order to kill Lana, and they didn't follow through." I smiled because I knew I was winning. "Now, these siblings of yours, they're obviously not to happy with the plan you had, otherwise they would have followed you. Do you really think that they will be able to carry out what you have planned?" I'd pressed a button.

"I don't have anything planned." He responded with a calm voice. Now, an average person would hear this and believe he is telling the truth. But not me, for I saw the bead of sweat form on his forehead, giving away his intentions.

"I think this would go much smoother if we agreed not to lie to one another, Mr Moriarty." I told him slowly but sternly.

"I'm not lying." Was his monotonous reply. This wasn't good enough for me, so I kicked the table so that it twisted his cuffs enough to cut into his skin, causing him to wince and cuss.

"Sherlock!" Donovan hissed at me before rushing to move the table back and take the strain off Joshua's wrists.

"I'm sorry, I had a twitch." I put my palms in the air, and pretended to be sincere. Donovan rolled her eyes and muttered "Two minutes."

"So, all I want to know is your plans. Simple. You give me that, and I can arrange what you've wanted for a long time."

"And what is that, Mr Holmes?" He spat, the anger glinting in his eyes. I leant forwards on my seat, stared him down and spoke quietly.

"Closure. You get a private meeting with myself and Greg Lestrade, whom I'm sure you would like to talk to." I told him, carefully watching his expression. A tiny grin tugged at his lips, as he too leant forwards so his face was inches away from my own., and spoke in a voice barely louder than a whisper.

"Why would I want closure, when you both will be dead in 48 hours?"

--------------------------------------

Dum dum duuuuum :P Well I'm on a roll with the updating! Already working on chapter 11 so that should hopefully be up within a week or so. Support is really appreciated, I love hearing what you guys have to say about my work :)