Chapter Five

Sorry for the stupidly long wait, but here's the next chapter.  I hope you like it :3

Chapter Five

Jo

My hands went numb as my mobile slipped out of my grasp and tumbled to the floor.  I didn’t even register that the CRACK was my phone shattering into a million pieces.  I didn’t hear the receptionist cuss under her breath at the glass all over her floor.  All that was in my head were the words “picked up.”  Picked up.  Somebody had taken my baby girl...again.  I’d let this happen.  It is my fault.  I let her come back to school – I practically handed her over. 

I tried to get to my car but the receptionist made me sit down whilst she dialled 999.  Not even five minutes passed before Sherlock and John arrived.  The police took longer though.  John ran straight to my side, and pulled my into a hug.  Only then did I finally let out the torrent of tears I’d been holding back. 

Sherlock proceeded to question the receptionist, who wasn’t much help.  Even he couldn’t get much from her – it just so happened that she wasn’t really paying attention when this mystery person signed my daughter out of school. 

“I’m pretty sure it was a guy...he was quite tall, or maybe it was a girl in heels.”  I wanted to slap her.  Only when D.I Donovan arrived did she mention anything worthy of listening to.

“They wore a funny coat.” She paused, glancing at Sherlock, “Like him.  Long and weird.” She turned her nose up distastefully at Sherlock’s fashion sense.  He scowled and straightened his jacket.

“I’ll need information on what you daughter looks like, Mrs Watson.” Donovan said to me, but I just stared blankly at the floor.

“You know what Lana looks like, Sally.” John muttered in annoyance.

“Detective Inspector.” She corrected him.  Ever since she had taken Lestrade’s job, she had gone out of her way to be as irritating as possible.  “It’s just procedure.” She finished quietly. 

John described Lana to Donovan and another police officer.  I gave them a photo, but when I glanced at my baby’s smiling face I dissolved into more sobs. 

“We’re leaving.” John announced, and helped me up.  Sherlock nodded in agreement and followed us to the car.  I refused to talk as John drove us home.  I didn’t answer any questions Sherlock threw my way.  I didn’t respond to John’s repeated questions about how I was feeling.  How did he think I was feeling?  I’m solely to blame for my daughter’s kidnapping – I’m a pathetic excuse for a mother. 

I laid down on the sofa and watched as Sherlock stood at his whiteboard.  He scribbled down notes about Lana, and about Lana’s friend and stared at them – probably in the hope to make a connection.  I shut my eyes and tried to get some sleep – I wouldn’t be able to find my daughter if I was this tired.  I was just drifting off when Sherlock gasped loudly.

“WHAT?!” I jumped a foot in the air to see him writing down random names on the board.

“Don’t you see?!” HE shouted excitedly.

“No, I don’t bloody see so explain it to me!” I hissed back at him, moving closer to the board. “Who are these people?” I asked, gesturing to the names.

“The murders.  The seemingly unconnected murders, that I have just deciphered.” He smiled smugly.  I took a deep breath so as not to punch him.

“How can you decipher a murder?” I asked as calmly as I possibly could.  Sherlock frowned.

“No, I didn’t decipher the murder.  Really, Jo you’re losing your touch.” He belittled me.  My hand formed a fist and I threw it at his face.  He ducked just in time, and caught my next punch.