2: The Unexpected

Chapter 2: The Unexpected

I woke up with the alarm blaring in my ears. A friday! The last day of the week. Finally! Tomorrow's our game. And also Avril's performance. Should I go? Naah. What good will it do to me anyway?

I got ready for school, ate breakfast and headed out. As I passed by the skatepark, there was no more blood. They cleaned it 2 days ago, after the incident.

I finally reached school. I opened my locker, got my books and headed for my first class, Math. I sighed. Great. I just don't feel school today. I'm getting these weird feelings in my gut as if the world's about to end or something good is really gonna happen. Hmm.. could be both.

I was staring out the window, thinking of just random things. Like what's gonna happen 10 years later. What will happen to me? What'll happen to Avril? Will I ever get a chance to spend some time with her? I mean, surely in the span of 10 years, I will, but what if I won't? And if I will, then when? After 4 years?

Questions were racing through my mind in the speed of light, daring to be answered.

"Mr. Denver," a voice said. I didn't mind it, thinking it was all in my head. "Mr. Denver," it said again, but louder this time. I still thought I was imagining things. Am I going crazy?

Suddenly, someone banged a book on my armrest and at the same time, yelled, "MR. DENVER!!"

I was scared shitless. I jumped so suddenly and saw that it was Mr. Gilbert, our math teacher. Damn it, the terror teacher. Everyone hates him because he hits his students on the hands with a ruler everytime they can't answer.

Well, atleast I got 2 answers down. One, it wasn't all in my head, so I'm not crazy. Two, it is the end of the world.

I stared at him, probably with fear in my eyes.

"I'm glad I finally have your attention Mr. Denver," he said with an eerie calm. He only speaks like this when he's about to blow, "I hope you were dreaming about our topic because I'm about to ask you, who is the father of mathematics?"

Just great. Damn, I knew something bad was gonna happen and this is it.

I really am not in the mood for this shit. Out of the blue, courage mixed with anger suddenly emerged within me, burning like a flame.

I shrugged and said, "but I do hope it's not you,"

He scowled at me, anger radiating off him, trying his best to calm down.

"And why is that so?" he asked, letting me see the ruler he was hiding behind his back.

"You're not fit to be a father. I mean, no one, not even in this class, likes you."

"You are out of the topic, Mr. Denver."

"Because you're not listening, Mr. Gilbert. Whoever he is, became the father of mathematics because of his love for math. And you, well, teachers are supposed to be our second parents right? What kind of father hits their children whenever he gets silence for an answer?"

"It's called 'discipline,' Mr. Denver. Which, I think, you must learn very well," he raised the plastic ruler high in the air, but I caught his wrist before the ruler hit my hands.

I barely even noticed the gasps and "wow's" of the people in my class.

"No, sir. It's called 'abuse,'" I would've walked out after that, but I wanted to see his reaction, and damn was it worth it.

He was shivering with rage. We were staring into each other's eyes, both burning with anger, not showing another emotion.

Silence filled the room until he finally whispered, "get out," barely audible for me to hear. When I didn't move a muscle, he shouted, "GET OUT!!"

I let go of his wrists and stormed out of the room. I stopped when I saw my locker, and I just sat down on the floor with my head resting on my arms, which were resting on my knees.

Damn it, Chase! Why did you have to let out all your anger on him? You shouldn't have had done it. He's just doing his job. Okay, maybe he's doing too much, but that doesn't mean you have to yell at him! Fuck it, Denver! Now, you're in fucking trouble.

I was hardly controlling my anger. I wanted to ram my fist to the locker and just keep punching it until all this rage goes out. Aagh! Shit. I heaved a heavy sigh to let a little tension out.

"I never knew you were such a badass," I heard someone say.

I was confused. I had a hard time deciphering if it was supposed to be a compliment or an insult. Also, the voice wasn't familiar to me, it sounded feminine with a hint of masculinity.

Must be someone in our class, whom I don't know, that was about to go to the washroom, but bumped into me instead. I mean, how else could she know about what happened? Or maybe she also got kicked out, but then I don't know anybody in my Math class who's a troublemaker.

"What--," I started to say, but when I looked up, all the words that was about to get out of my mouth got clogged up inside my throat. I almost choked, literally.

I could hardly believe what was happening.

--------------------------

Hey readers! Just wanted to know if you also want me to post Avril's POV. If you do, please comment. If you don't, then just comment as well so that I'll make another version of the book/story, but instead of Chase, Avril will be the one speaking.

Yes or No?

-LBS Dani :)