4: Not Just Me

Chapter 4: Not Just Me

I ran to my next class, English, hoping I wasn't late. I was just out the door when the bell rang. I saw a seat beside Nathan and took it. Good thing he saved a seat for me.

"Where've you been?" he whispered. Mrs. Mendiola, our English teacher, was writing something on the board. She's in her mid thirties and she's skinny. She may look very fragile, but her eyes are like a hawks.

I wanted to answer him, but the stupid grin on my face never left. It's hard to talk when all you can do is smile.

"Tell me all about it later," he said instead. As if he knew what happened.

"Okay class. We'll be talking about verbs today. So can anyone tell me, what are the kinds of verbs?"

And her lecture went on and on, until the bell finally rang for lunch. Finally! I'll get to see her, even though it's only for a moment. Then realization hit me.

They don't eat lunch in the cafeteria. They eat outside, near the playground. Under this huge tree are tables and there's a bunch of it. That's where they sit everyday. It's a very secluded area since the cafeteria is quite far away from the play ground. It's where they can skate freely. The ground is cemented except for the part of the tree. They don't eat lunch. They just laugh and talk around and skate.

I've never really seen them there, I was just told about it. Everyone is. It's been spreaded out already.

I sighed. Guess I won't be seeing her 'till later.

The people that usually stay at there are the nerds, the goths and the skaters. The popular kids eat where plenty of people see them only boast off their blings. You know, the expensive luxury that they have.

Unfortunately, since I'm so-called 'Captain of the Soccer Team' and Nathan is one hell of a rich kid and is also part of my team, that's where we belong.

And. I. Hate. Every. Minute. Of. It.

"Hey, let's go. They'll be waiting for us," Nathan poked me on the face with a ballpen. I scowled at him. I hate it when he does that.

"You're still gonna tell me what happened awhile ago."

With that, my expression softened. Just remembering Avril makes me forget things easily.

I got my things and we headed to our lockers. Yeah, his locker is just beside mine.

"So? Aren't you gonna tell me?" he asked.

"C'mon. I'll tell you on our way."

And I did, starting with what happened with Mr. Gilbert. By the time I got finished with that, we were on the cafeteria doors. I told him about Avril while we were lining up, emphasizing the part where she fell right into my arms, and finally, we went to our usual table with the other popular people.

"That's about it," I said as we sat down, finishing up the whole story. Shock was still in his eyes, like all I told him was just a stupid fantasy.

"What's about it?" someone asked. I know that voice anywhere. Eric. He's actually the jock of the group, captain of the football team and richest kid I know. FYI, Football and soccer are different.

"Nothing," I said glancing at Nathan. Hoping that the look I gave him said 'shut the fuck up or you're dead' Thankfully, he understood. He cleared away his shock expression and replaced it with a poker face, but there was still a hint of disbelief in his eyes. I'm good at reading people. Not a fuss.

"Yeah, we were talking about the game tomorrow," Nathan added.

"Oh yeah. Your game! Yeah, goodluck by the way."