Chapter 3

After an hour of my step mom and dad warning me about parties and boys they finally make their move to leave. She heads out the door and tells my dad that she'll meet him at the car.

He pulls me into a hug. "I'll miss you Annie."

"I'll miss you too dad. But we'll talk as much as we can." My step mom honks the horn outside.

"I gotta go Annie. Have fun on your first day of college."

After my dad and step mom leave I unpack my bags and lay across my bed. I already feel lonely and it doesn't help that my roommate is gone. I have a feeling she will be gone a lot. Why couldn't I get a roommate that loved to stay in and study or read? I suppose it will be good because I'll have the small room to myself. Before bed I take out my planner and write in the schedule for all the classes I plan on taking and my potential meetings for the literary club I plan on joining. I pencil in a trip off campus tomorrow to get some more things for my dorm. Since I don't have a car yet things will be a bit difficult. Maybe I should look for a car? I have enough money from graduation gifts, but I don't want the stress of owning one. Besides, there are plenty of buses running through the campus. Eventually I close my planner and fall asleep.

The next morning Piper is not in her bed. I want to get to know her but if she is the type that stays out all night I'm not sure it's worth it. I wonder if one of those boys was her boyfriend. I hope it was the blonde one for her sake. I grab my toiletry bag and head for the showers. This is one of my least favorite things. Why can't each dorm have a shower instead of a community shower. At least it won't be co-ed. Thats what I thought until I reached the door. Sure enough there was sign with both boys and girls on it. I guess I will have to set my alarm really early and hope that no one will be in here next time.

The shower takes too long to get warm and I am paranoid that someone will pull back the curtain separating my naked body from a room of both sexes. Everybody seemed to be comfortable besides the fact that they shouldn't be. College life is weird so far. The shower is small, lined with a small rack to hang my clothes on while I shower. My mind drifts back home to my family and friends. I am distracted and as I turn around my elbow hits the rack, causing my clothes to fall on the soaked floor. "You've got to be kidding me?" I groan to myself. I quickly turn of the water and wrap a towel around myself. I run down the hallway clutching the wet clothes to my body, hoping that no one will see me. I slide the key into my door and shut it behind me. I instantly relax until I turn around and see the black haired boy sprawled across Piper's bed.