Coffee Shop

The sun shined through my curtains on an early sunday morning, tinting the white walls a darker grey and causing me to bury my face deeper into my pillow, sighing and watching the dust mites drift through the sun rays. I wiped the crust out of the corners of my eyes, and sat up, head spinning like a pinwheel in the wind as my vision blurred. I gripped my head, hunching over until it subsided. My feet hit the cold ground and made soft thumps as I jogged down the stairs, hand sliding smoothly over the splintery railing.

My mum was sitting in the kitchen, drinking a cup of black coffee as she ruffled the edges of a newspaper absentmindedly. She murmured a greeting to me as I poured myself a bowl of sugary cereal and poured milk into it, making a soft crackling noise. I ate quickly, and put my dish in the sink, a small ring of milk left in the bottom of it. Thumping up the stairs once again, I went into my room and shut the door, falling back onto my bed causing my balled up comforter to sink as I landed on it. Picking up my phone, I unlocked it and swiped through my homescreen. No notifications, as was usual. I checked the time, it was 10:00. Figuring that no one would be out at 10:00 on a Sunday, I threw on skinny jeans, a grey hoody, and beaten up converse sneakers that scuffed the ground when I walked. Outside, the sun shone on the hot pavement and the neighbourhood was quiet, the only sounds of my feet scuffing the ground and the soft rushing of air. I reached a small cafe, the walls painted fading grey with small tables covered in white sheets. It's no use describing in more detail, because everything is grey and white, except for things that are black. I sighed. It was empty, save for one table where a person was sitting alone. I pushed open the door, a little bell ringing as I entered. The cashier glanced up from behind the counter, a young girl who sighed and plastered on a cheery grin as she waited for me to step up. They clearly didn't get much business, especially at this time of day.

I ordered a hazelnut coffee with four creams, and three sugars. She raised her eyebrows as I said how much cream I wanted, but said nothing as she swept off into the kitchen to prepare my order. I stood there for two minutes, chewing on the inside of my cheek and staring at the frayed laces of my shoes. Finally, she returned, passing me the warm drink and chirping "That'll be $2.50 please." I handed her three dollars, and told her to keep the change, slipping the cool coins into her hand. Holding tightly onto my drink, I sat down at a dusty table, not wanting to go home just yet. I sipped my coffee, staring at the traffic outside the window blur by, bored but not sure what to do.

I was interrupted by footsteps coming towards me, and I glanced up. The person from the other table was coming to my table, a coffee in their hands as well. It turned out to be a boy, who looked about my age, messy black hair atop his head, (possibly dark brown, not that I'd know what that looked like), and a tired looking face, yet his eyes seemed bright and curious, and a small smile rested on his lips that looked like they were always curved up as he approached. "Hey, " he said, sitting down, and placing his hands on the table in front of him, "I'm Viktor.." I looked up at him, not used to being greeted by strangers.He didn't seem to be joking, as he looked back at me with that same smile stuck on his face. "Um, my name's Aspyn.." I murmured, unsure what to say. Viktor grinned, showing white teeth, and held out his hand to shake mine. I took it, and shook his hand, noticing the callouses on his fingers, yet his hands were somehow still soft. I smiled slightly back at him, taken back yet pleased by his friendly mannor.

He spoke of regular, boring things, like the weather and school, until the conversation ran out, and I was left staring at the rim of my coffee cup as he rested his chin of his hand. We sat in silence for a few minutes,till I glanced over at his frayed looking T-Shirt and a grin broke out over my face as I saw it was an old Death Cab for Cutie shirt. "Nice shirt," I grinned, looking at his face and studying it more. His sharp jawline angled slightly upwards, giving him a defined look and I noticed a small scar under his lip, possibly from an old piercing. He reminded me of Autumn, with his warm eyes and a comforting, almost familiar look about him.

I noticed I was staring when his lips began to move and I realized I wasn't catching his words. "U-Uhh, sorry, could you repeat that?" He laughed slightly, a deep and hoarse sound, and dropped his eyes before looking back up and replying, "Yeah, they're pretty talented.. I wish I could do something other than waste time." For a moment, I turned red, thinking that it was a snide remark aimed at me, but he laughed at his own joke and scooted his chair closer to mine. A minute or two passed by, until I cleared my throat slightly, and built up the courage to look back into his face, making quick eye contact. I couldn't stop the corners of my mouth from turning up slightly, noticing how sly he looked even when making a neutral face.

"I should be going" I said, almost regretting letting go of this encounter. He grinned cheekily, trying to meet my eye once again. "You have texting of any sort?" I gave him my number, tapping it into his touch screen phone., biting my lip to stop myself from grinning as well.