Text messages

That day as I walked back to my house, the neighbourhood still quiet save for the sound of my sneakers as they scuffed on the ground, the world seemed more inviting, as if that small encounter had heightened my appreciation for the little things. I reached my house, and smiled to myself as I felt the rush of warm air wash over me as I opened the creaky door. I slipped off my shoes, and walked softly to the living room.

My mum was laying on the couch, a red and orange patterned afghan resting over her as her chest moved up and down slowly. I smiled at seeing her so peaceful, and quietly went up the stairs to my room. After changing into sweatpants and a soft cotton t shirt, I thumped back down on my bed, the old box spring creaking in protest. Suddenly, I heard a ding from my phone. I grabbed it as the screen lit up, and read the name from the sender of the message that said "Hey there". It was Viktor.

I grinned as I answered him back, my nails clicking softly on the screen.

Viktor: Hey there
Aspyn: Hey :) How are you?
Viktor: Pretty good haha. You? Also, sorry if I was a bit, ah, forward at that coffee place. I was a little bored at the time.
Aspyn: I'm good. And that's fine, I was a little bored myself. Can I ask why you decided to ask for my number?
Viktor is typing...
Viktor: You just seemed cool I guess. Plus, it's hard to find a fellow death cab for cutie fan ;)
Aspyn: Ohh. You seem cool too :D Anyways, I gotta get going. Text me later though, okay?
Viktor: Sounds good to me :) We should hang sometime. If you'd like that.
Aspyn: Definitely.

I turned off my phone, and tossed it onto my bed. The sun was fully in the sky now, and it shone in my windows, warming my back as I grabbed a towell out of my closet, and headed into the bathroom for a midday shower.