12. a week away

"The wedding is a week away!" Riley exclaimed as she barged into my room twirling around in the bridesmaids dress Juliet had chosen when we all went to the dress shop

"The wedding is a week away!" Riley exclaimed as she barged into my room twirling around in the bridesmaids dress Juliet had chosen when we all went to the dress shop. My eyes widened as I watched her go in circles flaunting like a model. That's when I noticed the dark bags underneath her eye lids. Her eyes were puffy and seemed as if she had been crying. I knew it was best for me not to say anything.

"Are you that excited?" I raised my eyebrows as she nodded. I was a little worried after the whole Farkle incident, but she seemed to keep herself busy. I wasn't sure if Farkle had texted or called her since she never mentioned it. Whenever I brought up the subject, she told me not to worry.

"It's gonna be fun. I love weddings! The bride and groom looking at eachother so loving. The toss of the bouquet. The slow dances after the wedding. Everything is so.." She sighed as she looked towards me with a grin.

"I'm glad you're happy, honey." I smiled back at her as she walked out of my room. She left and I quickly grabbed my phone on my table. I dialed Lucas's number and waited as the phone rang.

"Hello..?" I could hear him groan groggily.

"Hey, babe. Have you talked to Farkle?" I asked as I peaked my head through the frame of my door to see if Riley was around.

"No. Isadora mentioned that she thought she saw him when she dropped Zay off at the airport." My eyebrows furrowed hearing his words.

"What?" I shook my head as I shut my door. "There's no way."

"I'm not sure. He hasn't texted or called me. If he left the state then.. That's a lot of time for himself."

"If he left the state. Riley would be crushed. The wedding is so soon. I'm pretty sure he was her date." I groaned as I put Lucas's on speaker and went through my phone.

"Have you tried calling or texting?" He asked and I could hear him shuffling.

"I texted him a few times, but I didn't wanna text him a lot. Since he needs space. I don't know. I'll call him later tonight. Riley can't know." I said cautiously and he agreed with me. I told him bye and hung up. My fingers scrolled through my phone to Farkle's number when another name popped up on me screen.

I tapped the green button and pulled the screen to my ear. "Yes, Joshua?"

"What are you doing right now?" I could hear the falter in his voice as he spoke which confused me.

"Um. I was about to call Farkle and ask him what's been going on, but you called me so. What's wrong?" I put my phone against my ear on my shoulder as I looked through my clothes.

"Nothing. I just wanted to see if you wanted to hangout, but if you're busy dealing with other things. It's cool." As much as I wanted to say bye and hang up. I couldn't.

"We can hangout. Why don't you come over?" A small sigh escaped my lips as I began to ask.

"Okay. Great I'll be there soon." As he hung up. I quickly scrolled to Farkle's name and dialed it. I waited for what seemed like forever.

"Hey, Maya." He answered and I could hear a small laugh from the other line.

"Where are you Farkle?" I asked as I grabbed my shoes and slipped them on.

"I'm in New Jersey. Why? What's up?"

"New Jersey?" I practically yelled but kept my voice down to avoid Riley wondering what the commotion was.

"Yeah. I'm here for my dad's business. He wanted me to come figure out some papers."

"Why didn't you say anything to any of us?" I furrowed my eyebrows as I walked downstairs avoiding Riley's room.

"I didn't think it was a big deal. I'll only be gone a week."

"The wedding is in a week! Riley has been bawling her eyes out since you left that day when everyone was here. She doesn't come out of her room. Only for food and to talk to me. I'm worried." I mumbled the last part under my breath as I walked towards the kitchen.

"Oh. That's right. I forgot." I could hear him curse under his breath. "I don't know, Maya. I still feel uncomfortable about the situation."

"Farkle. It's been a week since the two kissed. They both said it meant nothing and Riley would never hurt anyone. Hell, you could kiss me if you wanted to feel better. I think you should come home. Just please. For her." I sighed as I opened the fridge in front of me.

"I don't know. I still have to think about things and I have business."

"Okay. Stay safe. I love you. Oh, Farkle you better not hurt her." I told him bye as I grabbed the vine of grapes in a clear bag.

"I won't. I love you too." He hung up and I turned around to come face to face with Riley. My stomach turned as her expression softened. I prayed that she only heard the last part of the conversation.

"Riles." I said softly and I noticed her grip the frame of the doorway harder.

"He's still mad at me?" She said softly but she kept her head down.

"It doesn't matter, Honey, he'll be here. In time for the wedding and you two will make up!" I tried to smile to make her feel better as I walked towards her.

"How much space does he need?" I could hear her voice crack at the word 'space'.

"It'll be okay." I went to grab her hand when she yanked it away and turned around. She walked quickly out of the room and I jumped at the sound of the a door slamming. I groaned as I walked upstairs and sat beside her door.

"Riles. He will get ove-" I stopped hearing someone knocking on the door. Riley quickly opened the door with hopeful eyes as she ran downstairs to answer it. I followed her and was greeted by Josh. He was standing there with a smile.

"Riley." He chuckled as he began to pull her in for a hug but she turned on her heels and went back upstairs.

"Why is she-?" He rose his eyebrow as we both watched her disappear.

"Very long story." I sighed. "Do you wanna go to Topanga's?"

"Maybe you can tell me what's going over a piece of crumble cake." He chuckled as I followed him to his car.

It felt weird. Lucas was my boyfriend for real and last time Josh was at my house we kissed. Josh's kisses were different from Lucas's. Lucas kissed with just sweetness and gentler. When Josh would kiss me it would feel rough. I loved Lucas's touch, kisses, words, and actions. I was with Lucas now and Josh had Juliet who he loved. Then why did this still feel like a date?