Sienna - CHAPTER SIX

Despite the sheriff ’s best attempts at keeping the murder quiet, it took all of five minutes before a crowd of onlookers had gathered. 

“I’m going to wait in the car,” Sienna told Archer.

His brows furrowed and he glanced at the growing crowd. With a curt nod, he dipped his head to hers. “Once we can get away, we’ll figure out what to do with Mason. Together,” he added, eyeing her as he handed over the keys.

Sienna went to the black SUV parked several cars down. Her mind raced with thoughts of the warlocks and what they wanted. 

They’d grown more reckless in their quest for power and control. 

Their parents had started a war that had eventually cost Sienna and Archer’s parents their lives. Images of the devastating fire that had killed them still plagued her dreams. The cause of the fire remained unknown and even though suspicion had fallen on the Brogan family, it had never been proven. Unfortunately, in their haste to escape the accusations, Mason’s parents had been killed in a car accident, leaving two sons to continue their legacy.

Years later, the war their parents had started still waged on. The idea that it would never end nipped at her every time Mason struck, creating fear and panic amongst the ordinary people around them.

Sienna despised using magic to adjust memories and rectify the balance, but with Mason on a warpath, sometimes a little magic had been necessary to keep their secret. No one wanted a repeat of the witch hunt that had slaughtered so many of their kind. After all, their agreement with the small handful of people who knew about them was that they lived in harmony. No public displays of magic or supernatural abilities, and no one was to be hurt.

Mason had crossed that line so many times that a confrontation was inevitable. It wouldn’t be long before he unsettled the balance their families had worked so hard to maintain and trashed their dreams of living a peaceful life.

Sienna unlocked the car, climbed inside and shut the door. The tinted black windows offered a dark cocoon that was a welcome barrier to the chaos outside.

Her senses immediately prickled with a dark and unwelcome energy.

An energy that wasn’t hers.

Gulping air, she reached for the car door, fumbling against the handle that wouldn’t budge. Smoke began to pour through the vents: a thin veil of grey that gathered momentum until the car was smouldering with thick black smoke. 

Blackness enveloped her with a choking hold that made it impossible to breathe. Her throat burned and her eyes began towater. Scrambling for the door, she hit the windows and yanked on the handle, trying to hold her breath to ward off the acrid smell. 

And just like that, it was gone.

Sienna coughed frantically as she gasped air. She spun around in her seat, trying to grasp reality, and looked at the blank air vents.

Uneasiness arrowed to her stomach and it clenched in response.

The smoke hadn’t been a car defect. Or a prank. 

No, that was all Mason.

Sienna’s head popped up as the car door beside her opened and Sarah climbed in, breathless as though she’d been running.

“Where’s Rose?” Sienna blurted, glancing around the car for her grandmother.

“She’s with Ethan and Lora. He’s driving them home.” Sarah held out her hand for the car keys.

“What are you doing?”

She started the engine. “I’m taking you home. Archer and Declan will follow once the sheriff has got this crazy crowd under control.”

Sienna’s breathing began to level, even though her heartbeat hadn’t, and she turned back in her seat, trying to spot her Keepers. 

The crowd of people had grown, burying them in the chaos and panic.

“Is Rose okay?” Sienna asked, tugging on her seatbelt and dropping her head back against the seat. She exhaled, trying to get her head around the way Mason’s magic had tricked her.

Surely she was stronger than that?

“She’s fine.”

“Why were they in the forest?”

There was a brief pause. “They went for a walk.”

“They shouldn’t be in the forest at night without a Keeper.”

“Tell that to the old ladies. They think they’re invincible.”

“They could get hurt.”

“She’s fine, Sienna.” Sarah flashed her a reassuring smile and turned the car onto the main road. Because the Bennett estate was situated on the outskirts of town, the road home was dark and isolated, twisting and turning as it followed the shape of the mountain.

“Do you know if Rose has summoned the four stones?” Sarah asked, glancing in the rear view mirror.

Sienna raised a brow. “The stones that open our Grimoire? I doubt it. Why do you ask?”

“Rose has been acting all weird and Lora said she felt an unusual amount of energy tonight.”

Sienna glanced out the window, only to be greeted with blackness outside and the soft glow of her own reflection on the window.

“We always feel an energy spike when it’s a full moon. Besides, it would take a lot for Rose to bring them out of hiding.”

“So I’ve heard,” Sarah grunted, the nip to her words causing Sienna to glance at her. She was staring straight ahead, her lips pinched in a thin line, and a small frown creased her forehead.

The chiming of Sienna’s phone lit up the car with a soft yellow glow. As Sienna reached for it, her gaze fell on Sarah’s reflection in the window beside her and she gasped, reeling back in her seat as Mason’s skeletal face reflected back at her.

Sarah’s head snapped to face her. “What the hell, Sienna?”

The phone stopped ringing, plunging the car into darkness.

Sienna glanced around, blinking rapidly as a tinge of wariness spread through her like wild fire. “Nothing,” she muttered, her gaze returning to her Keeper. “I’m edgy tonight.”

“We all are, but jeepers, you nearly gave me a heart attack.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you,” Sienna murmured, feeling foolish. She must be tired, or Mason’s pranks were wearing her down. She reached for her phone, turning it on to see who had tried calling.

“Archer?” Sarah asked.

Sienna nodded and began to dial but Sarah reached out and snatched the phone from her.

“Sarah!”

“I’m trying to drive, Sienna,” Sarah snapped, her tone laced with irritation. “The light from your phone is so distracting. You know how dangerous these roads are at night.”

Sienna frowned as wariness trickled into alarm. She ran her gaze along the length of Sarah and bit back a sharp intake of air at the sight of her left hand on the steering wheel.

A hand that no longer wore her Keeper ring.