Sienna - CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Bennett Estate

One week later

The necklace felt heavy clasped within Sienna’s hand and she unfolded her fingers, staring at the family heirloom, once her mother’s. A chunky, antique pendant in the shape of a pentagram hung from a silver chain. It was simply designed but the perfect illustration of her connection with her Keepers. She’d never worn it and holding it in her hands again triggered unwanted memories.

Her mother. Sarah. Her Keepers.

Reaching for the welcome numbness she’d relied on since Sarah’s death, Sienna walked to the three daggers on the living room wall. She reached up, shifted the weapons and turned around with a satisfied nod when the doorway concealing the Beckham Grimoire opened.

She glanced at the four stones beside the book, relieved that Rose hadn’t returned them yet. Sienna whispered the words that would unlock the Grimoire and flipped through the ancient book until she found the page she sought.

A disconnection spell.

Not giving the nagging voice in the back of her mind a chance to rear its head, she placed the necklace and the book on a nearby table.

Inhaling several deep breaths, she held out her hands over the necklace and began whispering in a hushed undertone. 

She felt the swirl of energy but it was gone in a flash and she smiled at the simplicity of the spell.

God, how she loved simple magic.

Something that had become totally foreign to her since inheriting her grandmother’s powers.

Powers she would shun until the day she died.

Sienna returned the Grimoire to its rightful place and cast the spell to seal it, unable to resist a final lingering glance. She fastened the necklace around her neck, knowing that once she did, her connection to Archer would be altered.

He’d always been able to sense her, but the necklace would sever their connection and keep him from tracking her. Despite the numbness, Sienna still felt the pang of anguish that came with the thought of leaving Archer.

Oh God.

The soft hum of a car engine stopping outside the front door had her glancing at her packed bag in the doorway. It was black and almost empty.

Just like her.

She took four strides to the daggers where she retraced their places on the wall. The soft scrape of wood against the floor indicated the sealing of the Grimoire.

The murmur of voices in the kitchen hinted at her Keepers’ arrival, jarring her into action. She had to leave. Now.

Ignoring the flash of fear, she grabbed the bag, slipped quietly into the hallway and out the front door, where the cab was waiting at the bottom of the stairs. Ignoring the sound of her name, she climbed into the car.

“Go,” she issued the driver, closing the door behind her. “Just go.”

The car pulled off into the long driveway and Sienna turned in her seat to glance out the back window.

Archer raced to the top of the stairs, his heavy frown and hurried movements an indication of his confusion. “Sienna!”

Declan and Ethan came out of the house and she saw the bolt of betrayal and disbelief slam home, their expressions tightening when they realized she was leaving.

Three men. Tall, powerful, and breathtaking in their own way.

They were her best friends, her partners, her Keepers.

And she’d almost killed them.

She looked at Archer, the man who’d stolen her heart, aching with the knowledge he’d never be hers. Sarah’s death had driven a wedge of grief and guilt between them impossible to ignore.

Perhaps The Circle had cursed them after all.

Archer charged down the stairs. “SIENNA!”

The anguished shout of her name stung and a small sob escaped her. Shifting in her seat, Sienna met his gaze as the cab drove away, feeling as though something had been ripped from her soul.

“Everything okay, miss?” the cab driver asked.

Sienna swivelled around, breaking the connection with Archer, and turned her back on them.

“Yes,” she whispered, refusing to lay claim to the wreckage in her heart. “Everything’s fine.”

Liar, liar.

The End

A note from the Author:

Thank you so much for following Sienna and her Keepers' journey!  If you've enjoyed this prequel to The Keepers series, please don't forget to vote and/or leave a comment as I love to hear from my readers! 

The Keepers: Sienna is a free prequel brought to you by HarperImpulse. To find out what happens next, download the first book in this exciting new paranormal romance trilogy now.

Buy The Keepers: Archer: http://smarturl.it/thekeepersamazon

Also available at all other eBook retailers too!

www.raerivers.com

https://www.facebook.com/RaeRiversBooks