Chapter thirty-one

I am so anxious to know what my father is doing with this Carla lady. I will not have a step mom. My mom and dad are staying together. I'll do my best to make sure they do.

Justin and I are going to the coffee shop right now to see if dad really is there with her. I hope we have the right one.

"Chris, calm down. You never know, your dad might just be seeing an old friend or maybe it's something totally harmless." Justin said as he tried to keep up with me.

"I don't care. He shouldn't be having coffee with another woman Justin. That's not right. You're a guy so you don't see the harm, but it's really not healthy to do that. He can have friends, but mom probably doesn't even know about her." I explained.

"I understand Christina. I know I fuck up a lot, but I do understand what is right and wrong. What you need to do right now is just calm down and don't assume things even if they look the way they do. Just wait and see and then you can get all pissed off." He said.

"If this was your dad, wouldn't you want to know?" I asked looking up into his eyes.

"My parents aren't together Christina, but yes if this was my mom and dad in this situation I would want to know." He said looking off into the distance.

"I'm sorry Justin. I didn't mean to--"

"No, it's okay. Don't worry about it." He said giving me a slight smile to reassure me.

Damn. I totally forgot that his mom and dad weren't together. I mean, I knew, but it slipped my mind. Ugh. Now I feel like I made him upset.

The rest of the walk there was silent and we finally made it to 2 bean coffee shop.

"Okay, we need to stay hidden, but first we need to see if he is here." I said standing on the outside of the door.

"I'll peak my head in and see if I see him." Justin said opening the door.

My teeth were glued to my bottom lip.

"Do you see him?" I asked anxiously as I waited for Justin to finish looking.

"Yeah, he's... Sitting at a table with a lady with brown curly hair." Justin said facing me.

"Oh my god..." I said rolling my eyes.

"I can see him from here. I'm going to call him to see if he answers." I added as I dialed my dads phone.

I watched him through the door. He picked up his phone took a look at the screen. He paused and then answered it.

"Dad, where are you? When are you coming home from work?" I asked after he said hello.

"Now is not a good time Christina, I'm really swamped with paper work at the moment. I'll call you back alright?" He said.

I cannot believe him.

"Yeah. Sure." I said hanging up the phone immediately.

"What did he say?" Justin asked curiously.

"He said he was swamped with paper work, but it doesn't look like it to me when he is talking it up with fucking Carla." I said angered.

"Wow... I'm, I'm so sorry Chris." Justin said rubbing my back gently.

"What-- what am I going to tell mom? Do I tell her? If I do, it will break her heart." I said in tears.

"The only thing you can do right now is make sure he is really cheating. We haven't seen him kiss her or anything so let's see."

I really don't know what to think. He seems like he is cheating and he just lied to me. He never lied to me ever. Why would he be talking to another woman? I don't get it.