Chapter One

"Master Skywalker, we are running out of time."

Anakin was only half-listening as he walked down the halls of the Jedi Temple, making his way towards his chambers for the night with Master Luminara trailing pathetically behind. He was tired, a feeling he'd grown used to, and knew that his night would be filled with more horrifying images of Denali's death, replaying over and over again even though it'd been months since the incident.

The last three months had been hell for the young man.

Two weeks after the funeral, his former master disappeared without a trace. Days later, his search for the person who stole Denali's body from her casket went cold, making him go back and retrace all of his information to try and find a new lead. A month later, his padawan left the Jedi Order. Four weeks after that, the Council decided to give him the grand title of 'Master', as if it was some 'sorry' gift to try and make up for ruining his life. On top of that selfless gesture, Padme was becoming even more clingy than usual. Her constant attempts at contact via commlink and even asking for him at the Jedi Temple were growing so persistent that Anakin felt as if he were being suffocated from the non-ceasing attention. 

Damn, he needed sleep.

"I understand, Master Luminara," He sighed and rolled his eyes, thankful that his back was turned to her. "But I'm busy enough as it is with helping Master Yoda train the new younglings coming in. And either way, the Chancellor and I aren't on as great of terms as the Council likes to believe. He'd become suspicious about me trying so hard to get information from him. Send Master Fisto, they seem to be thick as thieves..." The door to his rooms was getting closer with each hurried step and Anakin could hardly wait to escape the woman behind.

"Fisto was assigned to inspect the cloning facilities of Kamino last week and hasn't returned yet. Time is running out and we're in desperate need-"

"Master Luminara," He cut her off once they'd reached the safety of his bedroom doorway and placed his hand against the frame. He was reaching his limit and knew well enough that he'd explode if he didn't exit this conversation quickly. "I'm sorry, but I am in no position to address this matter with my schedule being so packed already. I'm sure the Council can find someone else more suited to deal with this situation. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm extremely tired and in need of some rest. Good night, Master."

He didn't wait for her to reply before stepping into his room and closing the door behind him.

With an exhausted groan, he pressed his back against the cold metal door and slid down to the floor, where he sat with his head in his hands and stress radiating off his body like heat waves. Rest. That's what he needed. Not sleep, since sleep hadn't exactly been luxurious lately. Just...rest.

Anakin's personal chambers weren't anything too amazing. He had a bed, a window, a bathroom, a dresser where he kept his tools and spare parts, and PROXY, who was sitting in the corner charging for the night and wouldn't wake til morning unless summoned. Gerg hadn't wanted the droid since it only brought back bad memories for him, whatever that meant, so he gifted the robot to Anakin before he was called back to the Temple from Alderaan.

Rest, Anakin thought as his eyes caught sight of his unmade bed. Not sleep. Rest. Another non-energetic groan later, he sluggishly made his way back to his feet and crossed the room to his bed. He plopped down, not bothering to remove his clothes or boots, and rested his head on his pillow, face expressionless as he stared up at the ceiling.

How had it all gone downhill so quickly?

In less than a quarter of a year, he'd lost the woman of his dreams, his father-figure, and his apprentice. He'd lost everything.

"PROXY." Anakin said. The word was emotionless and his eyes never left the ceiling as the sound of PROXY's inner-workings powering up filled the dark room. The droid's robotic eyes flickered to life and glanced around the room til he sighted the man laying on his bed.

"I believe you summoned me, sir."

He opened his mouth to reply, to say the command he'd given every night since he arrived back at the Temple. The command he'd given whenever he couldn't sleep, whenever he was plagued by nightmares and needed to be reminded of the good in the universe again. But this time was different. This time, he squeezed his eyes shut and stopped himself.

"Would you like me to show hologram 13 again, sir?"

There was a moment of silence, disturbed only by the sound of PROXY's motors humming silently within his metal body.

"N-no...PROXY." His stutter caught himself off guard and his voice cracked ever so slightly. "Not tonight. Sorry to wake you..." He rolled over on his side, his back facing the droid and his head resting on his hand. His voice was little more than a whisper. "Go back to charging."

"As you wish, sir."

**********

It was nearly two in the morning when he heard the knock on his door.

Just a quiet little knock. Three little taps, barely noticeable but just enough to draw Anakin from another fitful sleep. Silently, he grabbed his lightsaber from his nightstand and rubbed the sleep from his eyes before quietly striding across the room. The Temple's security system was one of the best in the entire galaxy (after they improved it due to a bounty hunter break-in a few years back), but that didn't stop Anakin from being cautious. Over the weeks, he'd learned that trusting the people around him was a luxury, but it was a luxury he couldn't afford when things still hadn't died down since Ahsoka left the Order.

He pressed the button to his door and it slid open.

"Oh my word, Ani. You look awful!"

He knew who the cloaked figure was as soon as she quickly scurried into his room and closed the door behind herself, then proceeded to dote and fawn and worry over every little thing she believed was wrong with him at the moment.

"Have you been sleeping? Why haven't you been replying to any of my messages? You're not ill, are you? Oh my god, you look like you've been hit by a speeder! Why aren't you taking care of yourself?" Padme whispered furiously and held his cheeks in her hands. It reminded Anakin of how his mother used to scold him whenever he came home bruised or cut from work in Watto's shop, lecturing him about how he should be more careful around the machinery.

"Padme," He gently grabbed her wrists and lowered her hands from his face. "It's two in the morning." Anakin didn't need to explain why that little detail factored into this conversation.

"I know it's late, but you haven't been answering my calls and this was the only time I could come and see you without anyone noticing." She answered him and took his hands in her own before pressing her lips to his. "There's something I need to tell you. Something important." She cleared her throat and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear a minute later.

"What is it?" Anakin raised an eyebrow. She smiled hopefully and pressed his palm to her stomach.

"Ani, I'm pregnant."