Chapter Two

His mind was all over the place that morning as he meditated beside the classroom door, waiting patiently for Master Yoda and the new younglings to arrive for their daily lesson. Anakin was thankful for the distraction, extremely thankful, since he'd been stressed over so many things lately, along with a new piece of information he had mixed feelings about. Legs folded and hands resting on his knees, his breathing steadied as he cleared his mind and attempted to embrace the peaceful presence of the Force.

Padme was pregnant. Honestly, he couldn't say he was too surprised by that. After all, they'd been married for a few years now. It was bound to happen sooner or later. But he should've been more...excited. His lack of emotion over this ordeal concerned himself, along with Padme since his reaction the night before had been absolutely, ever so slightly, less than thrilled.

Just another mess of his to throw onto the pile.

He sensed Master Yoda's arrival before the small green Jedi announced it himself with one of his usual pleasant morning greetings.

"Hello, Master Skywalker. Ready for today's younglings, are you?"

Anakin opened his eyes and gave a kind smile in return. "As ready as I'll ever be, Master Yoda." The green creature chuckled a quiet sigh of a chuckle, showing his amusement at Anakin's reply. Now was usually the part when Anakin would get up from his position on the ground and the two Jedi masters would enter the classroom to await the arrival of the younglings for their newest lesson, but Anakin couldn't hide the surprised expression on his face when the Grand Master set his cane down and sat beside him. 

Knowing better than to question the action, Anakin closed his eyes and continued his meditation.

**********

It wasn't too long after that that the students began to arrive.

The lesson the duo of masters taught that day was a simple review, but an important one none the less- the best ways to block attacks from enemies. Once all the children had arrived and were accounted for, they split the group of younglings in two. Seven worked with Master Yoda on the art of deflecting blaster fire, while the remaining six were instructed by Anakin in lightsaber dueling. Half way through the hour, they switched groups.

"Always be aware of your surroundings," Anakin informed the seven children in his care at the end of the lesson. Each one watched with focused eyes and nodded in understanding. "It's important to pay attention to your opponent, but it would be pretty embarrassing if you were beaten because you tripped on a stone or your own feet, for that matter. Take it from me, it's a humiliating experience." The kids giggled at his comment and Anakin couldn't help but smile as well. "Great work today everyone, and keep practicing when you can. May the Force be with you all." He bowed, a gesture which every other youngling followed suit, before the children began to file out of the room.

He watched them go with his arms followed and a satisfied expression on his face. But it didn't stay there long as he recalled his own former apprentice, remembered what it was like to train her, to guide her and teach her to the best of his abilities. He'd failed her. His head dipped down slowly as the guilt began to set in once more since Ahsoka had left. No matter how many hours he put in helping these new younglings, no matter how much effort and blood and sweat he put forth into preparing the next generation of Jedi, he felt in his heart that none of it would make up for the loss of-

"Master Skywalker?"

He glanced up at the sound of his title before looking down to see not all of the students had left the classroom just yet. Standing before him, nervously fidgeting with her hands and looking anywhere but directly at him, was a little girl. From the shade of her skin and the small horns peeking out from the dark hair that grew on her scalp, Anakin knew this girl was of the Zabrak species, one of the few he'd ever seen in the Jedi Temple. He put a kind grin on his lips and responded to the small girl searching for his attention.

"Yes, young one?" He knelt down on one knee so he was eye-level with her. She was of petite build, only a foot or so taller than Master Yoda, but he knew he shouldn't be shocked by her size. There were countless other younglings in training even tinier than herself, though he pitied her and the fact that she was at a disadvantage when all of her comrades were nearly twice her size.

"I...uh..." Her yellow eyes flitted from the floor, to the room's exit, to Master Yoda as he slowly approached with his cane, then back to the floor. "I need to speak with you...You and Master Yoda...about..." She swallowed nervously. "About something serious."

"What is it, young one?" Master Yoda asked with concern. The little girl took a deep breath before speaking once more.

"I've been having...visions."

"What kind of visions?" Anakin questioned, his face still kind and smiling, though a pinch worried as well. Her eyes grew even more frantic as she looked from Master Yoda to the door, then the window, and back at Anakin. Her hands seemed to shake at her sides and he could sense her heartbeat quickening, like a war drum increasing in speed and intensity. Her breath came out in small, quick exhales followed by instant inhales, one after the other. It was then that the realization finally hit him- she wasn't nervous.

She was scared.

"Maris..." Master Yoda placed his hand on her shoulder. "Tell us what is wrong, you must-"

"I've been having visions about a sith," She blurted. "Every night, I see him in my dreams. Every night, he's always there, and I can see him and he can see me and I've told the other kids about it but they say I'm just trying to get attention but I'm not and-" Frightened tears streamed down her face in rivers as she sobbed through her words. "And he keeps telling me to do something for him or he'll...or he'll..."

Before she could force herself to keep going, Anakin wrapped his arms around the little girl, a mere child no more than seven years old, and comforted her as she cried on his shoulder. She shook with each body-wracking sob and it hurt the Jedi master's heart to witness a little girl in such pain, such sadness and fear. He could feel Master Yoda's eyes on him as he rubbed her back and told her everything would be okay, that she was safe in the Temple, away from all possible harm.

Once she finally seemed to calm down, Anakin let her go and she wiped her tears away on the back of her sleeve.

"What did he look like?" Anakin questioned her slowly, cautiously. He didn't want to upset her anymore than she already was, but if they were going to get to the bottom of this, they'd need details. Maris rubbed her sleeve against her runny nose and took a deep breath before replying to the man's question.

"He had a beard, I remember." She started. "It wasn't long, and his eyes were red. A scary red. He...he sort of..." She narrowed her eyes and scrunched her nose, as if she were thinking hard about what she was about to say next.

"He sort of looked like Master Kenobi."