Chapter 41--Rain

"Looks like it's starting to rain."
"But...it's not raining."
"Yes it is. This is rain." --Colonel Mustang and Riza Hawkeye, Fullmetal Alchemist

______________________________________

Zara

I was too late.

The guards were already standing around the castle doors, making sure of who entered and exited. My heart sank.

How am I going to get past them?

I stood behind one of the trees, about twenty feet away from the door. The guards mulled about the door, just standing with very little purpose.

How they hadn't seen me by then was impressive.

I pushed a stray lock of hair out of my eyes and stepped forward from behind the tree. A few of the guards noticed me, shoving at the person next to them in hushed whispers.

I gulped. The guard's eyes searched me, examining the ripped dress I wore, inspecting every dirt smudge on my skin.

One of them lifted his sword. I glared at him and bounced my arms against my sides.

"So what now?" I laughed. "You try and stop me? We fight?" I shook my head a little. "We can, but I assure you, it won't end well."

One of the guards next to the sword holder nudged him. "Lower your sword."

The man with the sword scowled at the guy who nudged him. "The king said no others."

The rest of the guards suddenly seemed to move away from the two squabblers.

"Your king," I called to Sword-holder, "is trying to kill an innocent-ish man. Let me through."

He still didn't move.

I rolled my eyes and held up my hand. Flames flickered from my fingertips. Even though is want looking at the other guards, I could feel them back away quickly. I eyed Sword-man threateningly, trying my best to be as terrifying as I could.

"I don't want to fight you, and I don't want to hurt you, but if you keep standing there, both will happen."

Liar. There's no way you would hurt him.

But he doesn't need to know that.

"You have to the count of three!" I shouted.

"One!" I took a step forward. All the guards by Sword-man fled from my path.

"Two!" I took another step forward, leaving the poor man holding the sword shaking in his boots.

An agonizing roar cut through the dramatics of the front door. It echoed through the castle grounds, settling deep in my bones.

My blood turned cold. "Brennen..." I mumbled.

With one quick motion, I whirled back to the guard. He still stupidly stood holding the sword.

I lifted my hand and flicked my wrist. Sword-man went flying to the side, away from the entrance.

Three.

I didn't wait for the rest of the guards to change their mind about me. My feet carried me inside the castle within the span of a few seconds.

Immediately, the feeling of the castle was off.

My heart raced in fear. If the roar hadn't given it away, then the unexplainable feeling did--something was wrong.

"Brennen?" I cried.