24: Sidelined Like a Boss

Jason said the next morning. "Safe to move you now, so I'm going to drop you at the manor."

Thank heavens, I was going bonkers sitting around in Jason's safe house. I rolled over slowly, preparing myself to get out of bed and stand.
"This is literally the best-"

"No. Sit back down. You aren't walking."

"... What?"

"Physical activity is still bad right now." He smirked.

I narrowed my eyes. "I swear, if you pick me up, there will be no end to the blueberries in your helmet."

...

Once my concussion healed up, I needed Alfred to help me find every blueberry on the planet. And then I was going to enlist Damian to stock them so extensively in Jason's safe houses and belongings that there would never be an end to them.
Blueberries instead of bullets, juice from the shower head, fruit instead of gasoline, that's what I was thinking.
He couldn't have just wheeled me down in a chair.
No no, Jason Todd was required by fate to wrap his arms around me and carry me all of maybe thirty feet from the bed to the elevator, to the car in the garage downstairs.

I didn't talk to him for the whole drive to the manor.

"You act as if I shot your family."

I glared at him. "I ain't no damsel in distress. This princess is fully capable of riding her own horse."

Jason smiled. "Clearly. Concussion and all."

I didn't have a reply to that so I sighed and looked out the window.

We pulled up to the front of the manor ten minutes later. He killed the engine and looked at me pointedly.
"Do you want me to carry you nicely or like a damsel in distress?"

"Considering my friends think we're a thing, let's go with nicely. Best not to give them any more ideas." I huffed out and unbuckled my seatbelt.

"Atta girl."

He got out of the car and came around to my side, opening the door and scooping one arm under my legs and the other under my shoulders. I wrapped one arm over his shoulder to help balance, but left the other swinging freely as he pulled me out of the seat.

"Please tell me she's going to be okay!" As my head cleared the top of the vehicle, I saw Ari running out the front door with Park hot on her heels. Alfred held the entrance open, a soft if somewhat strained smile on his face.

"Relax, she's fine. Cranky as all get out though."

"Shut up Jay!" I muttered.

"Proving my point."

"Blueberries, I warn."

He chuckled and continued to carry me up the steps. My friends skidded to a stop at our side and followed.
"If you had died, I was going to bring you back and kill you." Park grouched, though relief was evident in her voice.

"But that would have defeated the purpose of bringing her back, and besides, she would have been dead!! For real this time!" Ari wasn't in a much better mood.

"Hey hey, death's not exactly irreversible from what I hear. Just ask Red here." I said brightly. Jason stiffened as we made it to the doorway.

"Choose between asking about it, and your future well being." He said, honey sweet. "You can't have both."

...

"I'm what?!- ow."

"Miss Walker, you're only proving the point." Alfred said wryly, placing a glass of water on the bedside table. "Master Wayne was very specific in his instructions. You are to stay in bed with that concussion."