Flattery Gets You Nowhere

Rogue glared. The air grew thick with power and she noticed the oxygen grow sparse around her.

Mercy realized what was happening. Rogue had honed in on Terrance and left the rest of their shelter alone. The same couldn't be said for their newest friend.  
Though, this wasn't a matter of losing control, Rogue was simply making his anger known in the best way he knew ho, by sucking the life right out of anyone that crossed his path.

Terrance bent over, his hands flying to his throat in a flurry of movement. He coughed, gasping for air.

"Chill out, man, can't take a joke?" He managed to choke out a few words through his dry lungs.

Rogue closed his eyes, looking away from the other boy. Terrance sucked in air heavily as he regained his composure.

Moments later, he made the surrender gesture with his hands upon seeing the look on Rogue's face.

"If harmless words get me a chokehold, what do actions warrant?" Terrance cursed.

He changed direction and grabbed Mercy's upper arm, focusing on the true matter at hand. "I've got to take you in there, Red. They weren't too keen on letting us in without prisoners. We've got to move on to plan B."

Mercy knew it would fail. Government officials weren't going to buy a story as ridiculous and made up as theirs. She was prepared from the moment they drove through the gates to be the decoy.

"Then let's get a move on before the guard has a panic attack." She paused. "Let me guess. You have to handcuff me or something?"

Terrance shifted uncomfortably against the door frame. They were well-hidden from the others' view but that didn't mean they wouldn't suspect something was up.

"Well, it's definitely or something." He held up a white contraption in his left hand.

"Turn around."

"That's original." Rogue hissed. "Are you seriously expecting me to stay in this vehicle when you're dragging her in like that? There's no way she'll be able to escape."

"That's where you come in isn't it, Lover Boy?" Terrance snarled as he snapped the mechanic collar around her throat. "I'm sorry, Red."

The white coated metal chimed with a beep and she saw a red light flashing from where the color locked onto her neck.

"What is this? A tracking device?"

Terrance pulled her hair back in place and sighed heavily. "I wish it were so simple. If you step out of line, this collar is meant to hold you back." He paused, taking in her pained expression. "To torture you if the need arises."

"Or if they decide it would be fun to hear me scream, right?"

"Its orders that I can't ignore if we want a chance of pulling this off." Terrance huffed. He turned his attention to the last free man amongst them.

Terrance hunched over through the opening of the door as not to attract unwanted attention. "Stay here, Rogue. If you feel anything suspicious then you have my permission to step in, but for now they can't know you are here." He paused, pondering the next portion of their plan.

"Wait until we come back out with the files. After that, we'll come up with a plan to get Mercy out of there if she hasn't figured one out already."

Terrance pulled Mercy from the car with such force that she fell over onto her knees.

She growled. "I know this is an act, but that really didn't sit well with me. I'll pay you back for it when I'm free again."

Terrance jerked her up. "And you'll have every reason to later, but right now I've got to make this believable."