Strangers

Highway lights passed by in a blur.  The midnight darkened sky overhead made Mercy feel wide awake in the back seat.  Her sister sat beside her strapped into a pink and blue car seat.  Lily was sucking on a bottle of milk; Mercy's sippy cup sat half full beside her in the cup holder. 

"Mommy, where are we going?" She asked in a curious childlike manner. 

Mrs.  Baudelaire turned around in the passenger seat.  "We're going on a trip.  You love trips, remember sweetie?"  She smiled, but even Mercy's eight-year-old brain could see the sorrow and worry etching her face like a puzzle. 

Mercy looked out at the dark highway.  The road signs were too few and far apart to tell where they were.

"Are we there yet?"

Jacques Baudelaire laughed at her eagerness.  "Sorry, princess, we've still got a little while left before we get there.  Do you need anything?"

"No." Mercy bit her lip and fiddled with the goldfish in a sandwich bag in her hand.  "I'm just bored."  She drug the last word out as she swung her legs back and forth against the seat.

She met her father's gaze through the rearview mirror.  "I know, baby, but try to settle down alright?  Your sister needs to stay quiet and mommy needs to rest."

Mercy glanced down at her little fingers where sharp, white talons had shot out.  One talon snagged on the bag in her hand, colorful gold fish crackers spewing everywhere. 

"Mommy, I made a mess.  I'm sorry."

Bernedette Baudelaire patted Mercy's wild, red curls.  "It's not your fault, Mercy; I'll clean it up later.  Try to get some sleep."

  Her tiny arms were covered in little flecks of glittery flakes.  They reminded her of the fishes in the book her mother had read to her the night before.  "Daddy, I'm scared."

Jacques smile turned into one of fear. "We'll get you some help, Mercy.  It's going to be okay."  His eyes settled on the skin on her arms for a moment before flicking back to the road ahead.  "They cannot get to you here, princess, and your mommy and I are going to do whatever it takes to make sure they don't find you."

~†~

"Are we there yet?" Lily called up to the front where Miles had taken over the driving. 

Rogue groaned.  "If you say that one more time, I will be tempted to throw you out the window."

Lily peered around and gave him a cool glare.  "Someone has to say it.  It isn't an official road trip without one."  She pushed her blue fringe out of her eyes, letting the sterling grey shine in the luminescence of the car lights. 

"Yes," Rogue scowled, "one of those, not three or four."  He huffed, grunting as he tried to get settled in again.  Mercy shifted against the leather seating.  After sitting in a car for several hours, she was getting a little stiff. 

Mercy sighed.  Her eyes were growing heavy with the need for sleep and she could only imagine how Miles and Dennison were keeping up.  Dennison had been off of driving duty for four hours, but he was still on high alert and wouldn't take a moment to sleep.

"Miles, maybe we should pull over.  You and your father could you some sleep."

Miles smirked.  "Are you worrying yourself over us now?  You've got your hands full with this bunch.  Let us take care of ourselves.  You should trust us by now not to get you turned in."

She nodded knowing he would see the gesture in the rearview mirror.  "I think it would be better for us all if we could catch a few hours of sleeps before we face our impending doom.  We wouldn't want them to think they had it easy fighting a bunch of zombies deprived of sleep."

He grinned.  "You've got a point, kid."  Miles turned to his father.  "What do you think, dad?  Should we pull off at the next stop and settle in for the morning?"

Dennison nodded.  "She may be a handful but she knows what's best when the need presents itself.  I saw a sign for a rest stop.   We should be coming up on it soon.  You can pull over there."

Miles' gaze met hers in the mirror.  "That work for you, firebreather?"

Mercy nodded her approval before turning in her seat.  The seat belt was constraining and she didn't like how heavy it felt against her limbs.  She slipped the belt off, hoping that Miles didn't come upon any sudden accidents.  That was one way to go; flying through a windshield.  

She closed her eyes warily and felt her head droop to the side.  Her head collided with a shoulder and jumped up, alert again.  "Sorry."  She mumbled under her breath.

Rogue grinned.  "No complaints here."  His wolfish smile turned hard.  "You could use a nap, tiger." 

Mercy shook her head.  She ran a hand through her chaotic curls.  "I'll manage until we pull over.  I've always been wary of the dark."  She shrugged.  "I guess I got used to it in confinement, but road trips late at night bring back not so fond memories."

Lily plopped herself up against Mercy's other side and settled her head on her sister's arm.  "I think I remember what you're referring to."

Mercy smiled sadly.  "You were a baby and I wasn't much older, I hardly believe you would remember that."

Lily shrugged.  "I tried.  My mind tricks must not be working right."  She winked before shutting her eyes and burrowing her head in the crook of her shoulder.  After so many years without her sister, Lily appeared to be making up for lost time.

Rogue leaned over back against the window and stretched his arms out.   He grinned at Mercy as her eyes widened in astonishment.  "Come here, Mercy.  You might be able to get a little more comfortable if you lean against me.  I know how awful middle seats can feel after a while."

Mercy chuckled.  "Has that line worked for you before?" 

He shrugged.  "I've only used it once and I'd never do it again, but you tell me.  You get to be the judge of that one." 

Mercy rolled her eyes.  Glancing at her sister, Mercy shifted so that when she leaned against Rogue, Lily wasn't jostled too much.  Her sister took advantage of the new position and stretched out further. 

"Is she always like this?"  Rogue groaned.  "I don't do well with sharing."  He grumbled as he laid his head against the glass window pane.

"You could learn a few things from it."  Lily murmured half-asleep.  "Besides," she let out a loud yawn, "this is so much more comfortable.  Who needs pillow pets when you've got a sister?"  She smiled, her eyes remaining shut.

Mercy scowled.  She squirmed under her sister's weight.  Her sister might find comfort in this, but Mercy felt cramped and wary.  Close quarters with anyone had her nervous, even with her sister whom she had not seen for years, she was terrified of what might happen.  "I don't care for that analogy."

Lily smirked.  "But you're so warm.  It is like being home. It reminds of the sleepovers we used to have in our little blanket forts in your room.  Remember?  You come with a little more heat than I recall." 

Her sister poked her abdomen.  "Do those dragon powers of yours enable you to hold a campfire in your belly because it's working?"   She reached out, tickling her sister. 

Mercy pushed her sister away.  "Are you always this friendly with strangers?"

The phrase shocked Lily, causing her to sit up with such force Mercy felt the car might jolt as well.  Lily scowled, her eyes revealing a look of hurt and remorse.  "You are no stranger to me, Mercy."

Mercy glanced away from the pain in Lily's eyes.  She ran a hand through her hair in a disheveled manner.  "Eight years is a long time apart.  Strangers is practically an understatement."