Part 9

Jessica's POV:

I could hear something crackling close to me, I slowly opened my eyes to see a small fire burning in the fireplace whilst illuminating the room. I must have fell asleep after Ward opened up to me, after he told me the truth. I had a blanket draped over me and a small pillow under my head. I sat up, slowly being careful of my leg as I stretched. I looked out the window to see it was dark but you could still see the heavy snowdrops fall. The blizzard must have happened just after I fell asleep which meant it was going to get really cold when we ran out of wood.

I looked in front of me at the table to see a sandwich on a plate. I reached forwards to pick it up but froze as I saw a gun behind it.

It seemed a bit coincidental. Maybe it was a test? He was probably trying to see that I wouldn't pick it up and I wouldn't shoot but he was nowhere to be seen. Obviously, I picked the gun up examining it. I really wanted to shoot something...Not someone but something. Shield barely let me have my gun with me and now I had a chance. I couldn't kill Ward, I didn't have it in me to kill someone- no matter what they did. Unfortunately I was too nice which led me into situations like this. I mean, when Ward opened up to me and told me the truth I felt sorry for him! I shouldn't! He's still a monster!

"Jess, put the gun down" Ward spoke from behind me and I stared at the gun. It was definitely a test. "I really don't want you shooting yourself"

"I think it's because you don't trust me" I whispered standing up with my back to him. "Do you think I'll shoot you?"

"No" He replied confidently. "But I'm guessing you haven't had a lot of experience with a gun because you're holding it wrong" I quickly put the gun down and turned round ready to let some anger out, maybe threaten him but I was taken back by his wet, bare chest. I stared at it, then at his face, then back at his chest. He just had a shower, he just had a towel around his waist and that was it! His hair was dripping and the water made it's way down his face and towards his chest.

"Put some goddamn clothes on" I blurted out trying to keep my eyes off him. I couldn't help it, I have to admit he was bloody attractive. He started walking towards me with a cocky smile on his face and I felt something strange rise up inside me.

"But you look like you're enjoying yourself" He shrugged and stopped in front of me. I really wanted to touch it but I had to resist. He wanted me to give in! I couldn't let him win!

"I'd rather read a book" I smiled a little until he gently cupped my face making that weird feeling become more intense. "What are you doing" I whispered, looking into his eyes worried. I knew what he was trying to do, I was just worried if he'd succeed or not.

"Jess, you're fighting your feelings for me. Don't. Just let go" He whispered leaning in and I swear I moved back so fast that it looked like the hulk had pushed me.

"No. Ward don't do this" I shook my head at him and watched as he started approaching me again. "I don't want this"

"But you do" He stopped in front of me and put his hands on my waist, resting them there. "I know you do but you're fighting it because you think I'm going to hurt you. I'm not. You're going to hurt yourself if you fight it"

"You're the enemy" My voice was barely a whisper.

"Not anymore" He shook his head gently and sighed. "I want this. You want this"

"No. This is wrong" I tried moving away but his hands kept me in place.

"You're scared because you know that if I kiss you, you're going to let go. You're going to lose control but that isn't a bad thing"