Part 13

I accustomed myself to my new life, my new surroundings where I would be living alone. Instead of crying on the sofa all day, I went out. I saw the park, the small shops just to try and make myself believe this was for the best. This is what I truly wanted, a normal life right? Could I do this alone?

I couldn't see anyone acting suspiciously. If there were any uncover agents, they were doing one hell of a job. I wanted to see Daisy again but I wouldn't be able to unless I went back to Shield. I wouldn't be able to see anyone again. 

I walked down the street and turned into a pub, walking straight to the bar and sitting there ordering Vodka and orange. I needed a drink after all that had happened, it was kind of my reward. The drink would help me relax, settle me into my new home.

"You're new around here" I heard someone whisper from behind me then they sat next to me, smiling. The man was big built, beer belly and bald. He looked almost twice my age.

"Yep" I whispered, taking a sip of my drink. I wasn't one for conversations and ever since I was with Shield and Hydra, I've learned to trust no one. 

"So what's a pretty little thing like you doing on your own?" He raised an eyebrow, watching me carefully but I kept my gaze to my glass.

"Maybe I'm not on my own. Maybe I'm waiting for someone" I lied.

"Seems like it" He huffed, moving a little closer to me. I took a big swig of my drink and went to stand up to walk away but he grabbed my wrists. "Hey, come on now. Don't be like that, I'm just trying to be friendly"

"And I was just trying to have a quiet drink" I spat making him stand up laughing.

"Look, you need to calm down. How about I order you a drink? I don't even know your name"

"You don't need to know. My life is nothing to do with you. I don't want anything to do with you" 

"I'm just welcoming you to the neighbourhood. You don't need to act like a bitch" He growled holding my wrists tighter. Behind him, a few men stood up. They all looked similar to him, like a biker gang. They slowly started approaching as he began pushing me towards the exit. 

The door flew open before we got there and Hunter stood there with his gun out, aiming at the guys. The one who had hold of me slowly let go and raised his hands up in defeat.

"Get away from my sister" He growled and they did as they were told. "Jess. Out now" I nodded slightly, still angry at him but I'm glad he was here to save me from them...God knows what they were going to do to me. I stepped outside and saw Daisy standing there looking at me worried.

"Daisy?" I whispered, looking at her confused. Behind her stood Mack who soon ran in the pub after Hunter. Why was Shield here now?

"You're here!" She ran and grabbed me, pulling me into a hug. I hugged her back confused nodding slightly. "I thought I'd never see you again"

"Hunter took me here. Did he not tell you?" I asked and she pulled away looking at me confused.

"When?" 

"Literally like, four to five hours ago maybe?" I shrugged and she looked even more confused. 

"We've been searching for you for ages Jess. Hunters been with us all that time. We picked your face recognition off the CCTV in the village here...We thought you'd be on the move again though" The doors opened and Mack was dragging a pissed of Hunter out of the pub towards me.

"Why didn't you tell them I was here? To protect me?" I asked him and he looked confused. What the hell was with them?

"Have you completely lost it?" He stepped forwards, examining my head for a concussion. "We've been searching for days, weeks for you! We finally had a chance when you came here!" He shouted at me and I stumbled back, startled.

"You brought me here! You told me if I didn't want to go back to Shield then I'd have to live here, away from everyone and live a normal life!" I shouted back making them all look at each other, trying to figure out what's been going on.

"You don't want to come back to Shield?" Daisy asked quietly. I sighed and shook my head.

"Wait, I didn't take you anywhere" Hunter frowned. "I've been on the road with Daisy and Mack by my side, trying to find you. If I found you, I would have taken you back to Shield straight away. Would you really think I'd give you the choice to go back to Shield or not?" He laughed and I looked down slowly, shaking my head. My brother was back.

"Are you sure it was Hunter?" Daisy asked, reaching for me to comfort me.

"It looked exactly like him. The face, the voice was spot on...But he was bigger, had more muscles and was taller"

"Oh thanks" Hunter groaned and Mack nudged him, getting him to shut up.

"Do you think-"

"Yep" Mack nodded at Daisy and I waited for them to explain to me what was happening. "That wasn't your brother, that was most likely Ward wearing a face mask" 

"A what now?" I stared at them blankly.

"A face mask, it copies the look of someone else, even copies their voice to make them appear to be someone else" Mack explained to me and I swear my head was going to explode. So, Ward would truly never let me go? I wonder if he was here, watching us disguised as someone he's not because he's so used to it.

"That means he's here. Watching. I need you to go. I'm not having him hurt any of you because of me. This is between me and him" I whispered whilst Hunter shook his head at me vigorously.

"I'm not leaving you anymore Jess! I'm never letting you out of my sight again! He's dangerous, he'll kill you"

"I need to end this. I can't live my life knowing that he'll always be around the corner Hunter. If I don't do anything now...He'll be there, waiting for me to fall. Waiting for me to become vulnerable to take advantage and make me his"

"You can't do this alone" Daisy whispered taking my hand but I shook it off.

"Daisy, you taught me to be strong. Remember when I first joined Shield? I was broken, destroyed because he manipulated me enough to hate my own brother and made me feel...Like crap. You taught me that I wasn't to blame, it wasn't my fault and through everything I've been through no matter what situation it was, I was always strong even if I didn't believe it myself. I can do this. I won't let him get to me anymore, or any of you"

"And what if he takes you again? Against your will?" Mack questioned me and I shook my head.

"I'll be prepared to do anything" I whispered, reaching forwards and grabbing Hunter's gun before he could stop me. 

"Jess..."

"It's the only way I'll ever be free, brother" I whispered, shoving the gun into my pocket. At least I'd finally get to use a gun. I know I said I wouldn't be able to shoot anyone or kill anyone...But maybe it can't be stopped. Maybe the only way I'd ever be free from his toxic man was to end it all...End a life. "Go" I whispered, Hunter hesitated but Daisy grabbed his arm and lead him away.

This was my mission. My own personal mission which was the biggest one I'd ever have. It was about emotions, it was about my life and how I could move on. If I didn't do this it would be a vicious cycle, repeating itself until one of us ended up dead. It was either me or Ward. The prey becomes the predator.