Chapter Two

I woke up later than I would have hoped. School was supposed to start at 7:15 on the dot. I forgot to set my alarm clock, even though I had managed to finish unpacking my room. If I was to keep portraying the good son and further avoid "the talk," then I should get a move on by helping my younger siblings get ready for the morning.  Since I forgot to set my alarm , it was my mom who came into my bedroom, flipping on the light (as if that was necessary); her hair un-brushed, with tangles in an endless frizz. Needless to say, she looked a little frantic.

Without a word, she rushed back out. I could hear another pair of feet scuttling about in the hallway. So I wasn't the only one who woke up late. Through bleary eyes, I turned on my phone to check the time. Hmm, 6:30 am. Jay wouldn't be up for at least another hour. I still avoided any curious looks at his text messages.

It seemed like no matter what I did to avoid him, nothing worked. Maybe my parents were right. I was going to have to face him someday. Getting out of bed, I noticed the sky was dark. No wonder we were all having a hard time adjusting. It seemed like I had 'thought' rather than 'spoke' too soon yesterday about  this being a town where you awoke to sunny weather every day. Unfortunately, it was raining outside, heavily too.

If this wasn't already a bad sign, the things that followed made their point well known. Mikey dropped the jug of milk all over himself, resulting into having to change clothes. Mom's sweater shrank in the new dryer, which would make her late for her first day at work. It was so chaotic that rather than play the "good son," I genuinely did my best to help. I helped Mikey wash up and pick a new outfit. Unlike me, all my younger siblings grew up going to public schools. It's what they preferred anyway.

I managed to get Sarah and Mikey ready just in time, as the bus pulled in front of our house. Grabbing an umbrella, I managed to get both of them all the way up to the bus, while mom stayed in the house with Brandon to clean up the breakfast dishes.

I barely had time to shower, though it was a record of two minutes. I hardly looked at the uniform I was due to wear – khaki pants, white dress shirt, maroon and gold striped tie and a navy blue blazer with the school crest upon the pocket. Thankfully I was dressed by the time Brandon's school bus came. I was already in the car when my mom's sweet perfume filled the interior as she got in beside me. I was gulping a few times because now that the morning chaos had ended, I was left with nothing but my thoughts. Man . . . I was nervous. It was finally hitting upstairs so to speak, but I held it all inside the whole ride. I had forgotten my IPod, though I had read those were forbidden and would be confiscated on the spot if seen by a staff member. I wouldn't get it back until the end of the year.

Yeah, I really am that lame; I read the school manual. We were in the midst of a full blown thunderstorm when we finally reached the main building. Nestled at the end of a long tree lined driveway, was an imposing three story Georgian style brick building, with two similar buildings opposite each side of the water fountain at the center of the circle.

There was a lot of hustling from the kids getting dropped off. Living in Florida, you get used to the rain; but since I was wearing a uniform, I was worried about ruining it on the first day. Shew, I hope I blend in.

Just then, I heard my mom adjust her voice, bringing me back to reality; and usually I would stop to listen. But...

"Look mom, we can spare the pleasantries. You're already late for work and I really need to get going. Thank you so much for being Supermom this morning, but I can take it from here."

I was out the car door before she could stop me. Luckily I learned long ago how to rig the child lock to escape her interrogations. After going up the steps, down the sidewalk, up more steps, and through the front door, I finally reached the lobby. Once I got a good whiff of the expensive carpet and newly buffed floors; I was inundated by so many more scents that I couldn't mentally note them all. I was too overwhelmed by the sudden change in the high school experience to care. My fellow students were nothing like the Miami kids I knew. These kids looked more prim and proper; more sophisticated. Some of them had New England accents, while others looked like foreign exchange students.