Chapter Four

I made my way down the stairs, perhaps going against my very nature. I was going to ask my mom. Maybe that would ultimately help me decide my fate for the night; and perhaps the rest of my senior year. I took the steps two at a time looking over the banister into the kitchen in search of her, when we nearly collided as she passed me at the bottom step.

"Watch it! Watch it! Watch it!"

Whoops! Not off to a good start, but might as well throw myself out there. Strike while the iron's hot as they say, whoever 'they' were.

"Hey mom, can I go to the beach tonight? Some kids from school are throwing a party." I was not trying to look too hopeful, but if I was being honest with myself, I actually was, but I would deal with any answer.

Without missing a beat, and heading towards the kitchen, "Yeah sure."

Wait. What?

"Hold up." I said now following her. I was immediately on alert because there was no way my mom, ANY mom could have just agreed without question.

"What did you say?"

We were in the kitchen now, but alone. She walked towards the stove to pick up a kettle, so she could make tea. Make tea?! As if this conversation was nothing. Was she trying to avoid an argument?

"Did I hear you right?"

I was not going to let this go. She was being too cool. That just wasn't normal. It wasn't natural! Maybe I'm being a bit overdramatic here.

"You heard right." She confirmed, her back to me, starting to fill the kettle with water. I waited, watching, searching for any sign that she was suddenly going to spin around with a 'GOTCHA'. But that never happened.

"But... why?" I was super suspicious. There was something being left unsaid.

Once the kettle was full, she moved back towards the stove. "Oh you remember Jamie? Mrs. MacAfee's son?" Mrs. MacAfee was also a good friend of my mom back when she worked at a nail salon. Mrs. MacAfee also happened to be the Mayor's wife and she came in every Sunday.

"I'll be blunt with you." She always was but I wasn't going to correct her. "Jamie went to that . . . what was his name? Oh yes, Nick. He went to Nick's house that Wednesday evening in April." She had finally turned around but her eyes were cast upward briefly. "Well, you could say I hired a spy."

"Mom!"

She didn't look at all phased by this. "He said you never got high and you hardly took a sip of your beer. Baby I trust you." She added with affection, without getting touchy feely, "You can use the van."

I turned, but didn't walk. There was more. There had to be. Somehow I wasn't all that surprised.

"Anthony was a spy too, wasn't he." I didn't bother questioning it.

"Yep."

"Knew it."

At first I was wondering why a complete asshat like Anthony kept creeping at me during the party. I originally thought he wanted me; but he was nowhere near my type. He was on the varsity track team, but he looked like a walking Feed the Children commercial. Besides, I had just ended my relationship with Jay, so I wasn't looking anytime soon.

Checking the clock, I saw it was just past five o'clock. I had plenty of time to get ready. And take my time, I did. I mean, what kind of loser would show up early to a party? The sun needed to set for at least an hour or two. After psyching myself out for an hour and going through every outfit in my closet, I jumped into the shower to get ready. Casting a quick and final look in the mirror after getting dressed, my heart would not stop fluttering. Is this what it feels like to have a heart attack?! Do seventeen year olds get heart attacks?!?