Chapter Twelve

"Well, that took longer than I expected."

I wasn't entirely sure what he meant; but slowly nodded as if I understood. I was too entranced to do anything else. I really had no idea what to think, or why I felt this way whenever Mason was near me. Is this what having a soulmate felt like? I say soulmate, because what else could I call it? It was the only word that could describe the strong emotional pull I felt towards him; stronger than anything I ever felt with Jay.

My brain was nearly fried after the past couple of days. New town, new house, new friends, new school; it was suddenly all too much to take in.

"What do I do!?" I was looking to Petr, panic filling my eyes. I thought about heading towards the window for a quick escape with Petr. Friends don't leave friends behind. Then again, Petr and Mason are friends; he wouldn't hurt Petr, right?   

Petr shrugged in reply, looking less comfortable; perhaps a bit pensive.  Was Petr seeing something that I wasn't? Would he tell me? Petr didn't look like he spacing out. His eyes remained the same color. Wait... what color were they? Chocolate brown. Chocolate brown?

I wondered about asking him about that sometime, but maybe I was crazy. Sure Petr admitted he could see the past and future; that he had a gift. He never said anything about eyes that changed color. That would be crazy to consider asking! Right?

Footsteps that moved too quickly for an old lady were stomping our way. I had no idea what to expect. What mood would Mason be in this time? I felt a twinge of annoyance at his broodiness, but my heart wouldn't cease its constant flutter.  Mierda! It was probably wiser to act indifferent to his arrival, or I might risk scaring him away. I almost panicked at the mere thought of that.

With a turn of the handle and a gentle push, the door opened;  Mason stood there in all his tall, dark and mysterious glory; his body filling the entire door frame.

Mason could only blink in silence as he took me in. I could swear his eyes devoured and swallowed me, as he slowly looked me up and down. He was still wearing his uniform. The tie was free and hung loose around the sides of his neck; the top few buttons undone exposing his lightly tanned skin. The rest of the uniform was all intact. Now if only he would turn around so I could get a proper look at his . . .

As if snapping out of a daze, he turned to Petr. "Your grandma would like a word with you."

Petr didn't seem to respond right away. Not that I noticed, my eyes were still transfixed on Mason. I could sense a hidden subtext in his words; something I couldn't quite place. Once again, there was an elephant in the room.

"Are you sure?" I heard Petr ask, and could hear the smile in his voice. "I didn't hear her ask for me."

Mason's eyes squinted in annoyance.

I finally came back to life, er, senses. "Look, Petr doesn't have to go anywhere. This is his house, his room. If you have anything you want to say to me, you can say it right here in front of him. He's my friend too, now." I was sure my annoyance was evenly matched with his, but now we were both annoyed with each other. Way to go to winning the heart of your soulmate, Alex!

Mason was staring at me with those dark, brooding eyes of his, as if wondering where to place me. I was wondering the same in return. It was a dark pool of swirling feelings. Dark feelings from what I could tell. It was Petr's voice that seemed to pull me back.

"Aw Alex, I could kiss you."

This seemed to rouse Mason, as his attention snapped behind me. "You will do no such thing."