c h a p t e r 4

u n s u a l   d a y   o u t

Rose and Jacques Curtin are the upper class of our society, not that it did me any good. I am their only child and they do not care about me too much. For them, I was just an unlucky cursed burden.

But they do come twice in a year to buy me stuff I want or need.

And today was the day for it. I wanted to go and hide in the darkest corner of the academy but I can't avoid my parents. Not only I had to act all nice and shit, I also have to spend a torturous day with them.

Just in case I had severe violent thoughts I kept my iPod with me. I wore something really bad in my sense just to be a little rebel to my parents. My attire included baggy pants, loose knitted long t-shirt and my hair was tied in a high ponytail which I made earlier this morning.

"Where are you going on a weekend?" Jayden's voice interrupted my thoughts.

"To die, wanna come along?" I asked with fake sweetness.

"Yes, I want to come along and stop you from doing something stupid."

Aggravating.

"Jayden, I am not in good mood today so leave me alone," I said seriously.

"When are you in a good mood, let me know this?"

He was right in a way, I was always distant and cold.

"Frozen, you know you manage to look presentable in that attire." He eyed me lazily.

He had to be kidding, right? And yet my heart reacted a tiny bit.

"Annalise." The dreaded voice greeted me and I looked up to see my mother and father smiling at me.

But that was the thing about their smile, it never reached their eyes.

"Mom and dad." I greeted them dully and didn't bother to introduce Jayden.

"Honey , aren't you going to introduce your friend?" Not really, I answered my mother's question in mind.

"Jayden Wallace," I stated as shortly as possible and glared at him to leave.

"Hello ,Jayden , nice to meet you." My father said curtly.

"Are you here to accompany us to the town tour with Annalise?" He asked and I just died in my head.

Jayden gave me a smirk that yelled trouble.

"I would love to."

He did not just say that.

And as my parents turned around to sign the pass from the academy, his hand circled around my waist. I felt all the air sucked from me on his gesture and I tried to pull away. But he just held on tightly.

This guy had a death wish.

"What hell is wrong with you Jayden?" I asked tears almost welling in my eyes on such contact.

I still have nightmares, I still can't sleep.

He let me go, maybe looking at my pained expression.

"You know why I am coming along?" He asked with a small smile.

"To annoy me?"

"No, I don't want to leave you alone to be tortured."

Why, why does he say these kinds of things?

"They are my parents , I am fine."

"You are a bad liar Frozen." And like he said he tagged along for the tour.