c h a p t e r 39

The thing about war is that it is inevitable. It has to happen once in a life time, be it war among your mind and heart or a war between people which destroyed millions of lives and left scars too deep to fill.

My life was a part of such a war. I fought with myself my whole life and now I was standing on the edge of loyalty stuck between destiny and my heart. It was nothing new when the whole kingdom turned against me or there were my classmates who raged in with the sword. It was not depressing that I was the centre of hate for the rest of the human existence or that I had no real family.

Because in that moment I saw myself failing, failing to reach the peak of evil that I was supposed to be. Kasper just unleashed his power on the opponents charging towards the opponents. He was destructive in the nicest possible way. He blazed passed the enemies striking them with a swift sword and white light that few could handle.

Blade was the warrior Prince he was known for but Jayden was formidable. His reputation as Knight Crusher terrified even the worst of the creatures. The three boys I know were completely someone else now. And as much as I should be the evil killing machine I was horrified to digest the what was happening.

Silas was dead, the power was surging through my veins and my blood sang with it. But there was an undeniable part of me that kept me rooted to the ground as the war continued at a distance. The old fairy vanished out of the sight but I didn't have time for that. I had to make a decision.

I started taking steps towards the group indulging in fighting. There were too many and as much as I wanted every soul on the planet but there was some glitch in my system and I was not feeling the murderous vibe even when Silas transferred his power to me.

But I felt the rage alright as I walked towards the people trying to protect the few I could maybe call my own. And as much as it hurts to be lied for all of my life, these people never did harm me seriously.

As my steps came closer to the attacking army, I stopped realising that my curse will not only kill the bad but also diminish the good. I was useless in such situation.

Handle them for me, will you Frozen?

Jayden alerted me before sending a group of attackers with a push of powerful wind and even without lifting a finger everyone turned to ashes. I swear I felt the rush of the kill and after a very long time I looked up and smirked. My reaction terrified my enemies while it made Kasper shake his head in astonishment, Blade looked proud while Jayden just smirked back.

But then it hit my gut like a force of a tornado, like a thunder crashing the sky, like a shrapnel cutting through my nerves as I fell on my knees. I closed my eyes and all I could see was blood. I shrieked and my ears were bleeding or maybe the pain was too much that it felt like this.

Walk away now Annalise.

Jayden's voice in my head was like a sharp breath of relief. I opened my eyes and look around and the wave of death was crashing everything around me. I stumble on my feet as I try to get up and run away from the people. The war in my head was at it's worst as I realised the impending doom. I didn't want to run, I wanted to kill everyone present.

"Let's go Princess." The old fairy was close to me and like a habit, I staggered back.

"GO AWAY!" I yell at her but she just offered me a small smile.

With no option left I followed her amazed at the fact that she still seems to survive in my vicinity. I ran out not thinking about anything else because if I did it would hurt my already hurting mind. I know deep down that somehow my heart was fading away and darkness was taking its place. All I was feeling was the rage.