3: Chosen

Hawkfire couldn't process the outcome right away. Her mother's eyes welled with tears, and the rest of her family were just frozen with shock. "All who chose lavender please step foreward," Thronslash called. Hawkfire padded forward along with Brackenpaw, Streamfeather, and Leafclaw. Thornslash flicked the lavender aside, and it landed sloppily on top of the borage. He addressed the cats. "All of you will now have until dusk to say whatever to family, friends, and other clanmates. Then we will hold the main Dusk Choosing and select three cats as tributes for this Green-Leaf's Warrior Games. You all are excused." Thornslash leaped down from where he was with Meadowstar and landed with a puff of dark purple mist. He then signaled for his companions to follow, and they padded away into the forest.

   The whole Clan was still trying to process the choosing. Nightpaw's mother was squeezing him to death, sobbing. Hawkfire bet he couldn't even breathe. Brackenpaw had only just become an apprentice a moon ago and was a mere seven moons old. Her family cried a whole lot at that moment. Every cat in ShadowClan was pretty shaken, but unlike the rest of her Clan, Meadowstar showed no expression. Hawkfire just couldn't see behind the brilliant green eyes that could sear a pelt. But though scorching, they indeed revealed nothing of the inside.

   Hawkfire had gone out to hunt and came across a small mouse nest. This ought to feed the Clan. She thought even though she knew all her family was perfectly capable of hunting, and the Clan would have hunting patrols soon out.

   It was a nice afternoon, but dusk was to come. And fast. The sun was just slipping down the treeline when Hawkfire heard the loudest, most menacing yowl in her life. She knew this meant to come back to camp. It was the time of the official Dusk Choosing. She padded into camp carrying three mice, which barely fit in her mouth. Then she dropped them on the fresh-kill pile and took a seat.