Chapter 2 Picnic

Weeks passed and finally (Y/N) had worked at the hospital for two months in her endless battle against germs and bacteria. The idea of avoiding Dr. Cullen had just kind of slipped her mind. She couldn't put a finger on it but something told her there was nothing wrong with interracting with him. And so she did. More so now than before in fact which seemed a bit strange. But she wasn't complaining.

After that first time of him driving her home it had kind of become a more... permanent thing. At least when it was raining. (Y/N) had asked him why he was so adamant about driving her home and he just said that he might as well since it was right on his way home anyway. (Y/N) couldn't really say anything after that though. But she did try and invite him inside for coffee again but it just got the same results every time. She understood he was busy but she wanted to repay him for driving her home all the time. How she was gonna do that when he refused coffee, (Y/N) had no idea. But she'd find a way!

The woman had started relaxing a bit more when she was near the doctor as well. She wouldn't always stutter and become all awkward around him anymore which helped immensely with their conversations. However there were times when she just couldn't help it. Sometimes she even thought he was doing things on purpose to make her flustered.

All in all it was a good friendship they had going on. (Y/N) was actually really happy about it. She just didn't know what to do to tell him how much she appreciated it. Surely she'd break down if she were to just say it straight to him, a letter would seem a little too... romantic, a gift would be nice but (Y/N) had no idea what he liked. She was lost!

As (Y/N) sat in the break room for her first break for the day, drinking her coffee, she thought about this. A gift for Carlisle... what could it be? She didn't have an enormous amount of money but she had some saved. It was just the question of what he would like. To be honest she didn't know a whole lot about him at all. Did he like to read? Was he into music? Perhaps he liked movies? Or art?

With a sigh the girl looked at the clock on the wall seeing there were only a couple minutes left of her break. She finished off her coffee, placing the mug in the sink provided for the employees, and headed out into the hallways. Today she was set to clean a vacant patient room so that was where she was off to!

But as she rolled her little cart full of buckets, mops, and other cleaning supplies, she spotted Carlisle down the hall. A small smile spread on her lips as she picked up her pace, hoping to at least say a quick good morning before going to do her job. Rolling closer, the woman heard that he was talking to someone in a hushed voice. She blinked. Was it a bad time? Perhaps she should just leave him alone for now. After all she didn't want to bust into a private conversation.

"Miss (L/N)." Dr. Cullens smooth voice sounded behind (Y/N) as she was about to roll the opposite direction.

The woman turned. "Yes?" She asked with a slight tilt of her head. Someone else stood besides Carlisle, not a patient by the look of it.

"Could you please come over here for a moment?" The doctor asked with a small smile. (Y/N) nodded hesitantly as she rolled her cart over there, stopping it besides the opening to the room they were standing in.

"What's up?" (Y/N) asked, looking up at Carlisle with a curious look in her eyes. She couldn't help but glance over at the other male though. He was quite handsome too but in (Y/N)s eyes not as handsome as Carlisle.

"I'd like you to meet someone." Dr. Cullen gestured to the clearly younger male who offered a soft smile. "This is my adoptive son, Edward."

"Oh!" (Y/N) said, surprise clear on her face. Adoptive son? He seemed awfully old to be Carlisles son. Or perhaps Carlisle just seemed too young to have him as a son? Maybe it was both. (Y/N) turned to Edward with a smile. "It's nice to meet you Edward. I'm (Y/N) (L/N)."