Chapter 22: Betrayal

I took a breath and looked down at the quill and ink that sat beside me on the table in the hospital wing. I had lied to the Aurors and told them that I wanted to send a letter to my father telling him that I was okay and safe – little did they know. The hospital wing had a few students sound asleep in bed, I recognised some of them as the kids that were taken from Hogsmeade at the same time Rose was. Rose was on the other side of the Hospital Wing to me and all I wanted was to go over and lay down with her as she slept.

I looked over and watched her roll over onto her side. She was facing away from me and her long, flowing ginger hair spread wildly over her pillow. I sighed then turned back to the parchment. Grabbing my quill, I dipped it into the small pot of ink and began scraping words into the parchment.

Father,

The Aurors are planning to ambush you tomorrow night at the hideout where you kept the kidnapped witches and wizards. That's all I know.

I will never forgive you for what you've done. What you've done in our world, what you've done to so many different men, women and children – magic and muggle... what you've done to me – it's all disgusting. You make me sick. You've hurt me and so many others.

Your plan to get me back into Hogwarts worked, but your plan to get me on your side failed. I will never betray the people I love like you have. I would never betray mother and I will never betray Rose and her family... at least not voluntarily. I hope when you read this you hate yourself at least a little for making me do this.

Your son,

Scorpius

When I finished writing, I read it over then folded it up to put it in an envelope. Suddenly I felt someone sit beside me and I looked to see Rose with her bed sheet wrapped around her shoulders yawning. "Is that the letter to whoever it is you're writing to?"

I nodded.

"Can't you tell me at least who it is? That's not breaking your vows, right?" She asked quietly, as to not wake up anyone else. I bit my bottom lip thoughtfully. My father's vows said that I needed to keep their plans a secret... not who they are. "Scorpius..." She started and she reached over and took my hand in hers. "I know you're scared. When they took me I was scared, when I saw that wizard torture you I was scared and when you didn't come back with us when they got us out I was scared. I may not know exactly how you're feeling, but I understand what it's like to be afraid of what's going on."

I looked her in the eyes. "These last few months with you have been the most intense of my life. I've never felt anything as intense. The fear is indescribable... when they attacked the school and I thought Hugo might have been hurt or worse and when they took me away from you. But I've also never felt love like it before. I love my family, I love my friends and I love you, Scorpius." She said and I didn't say a word, I just listened.

"Your first instinct when you found me was to tell me you loved me... I get that in a moment like that things may slip out and maybe you didn't mean to tell me that or something, but I need you to know that I love you. I love you so much. Over the last couple of nights you've endured two of the unforgiveable curses and come out the other side and that's one of the bravest things I've ever seen. I'm so lucky to love you. You're better than what they made you do under that curse and you-"

I couldn't hold back any longer. I took her face in my palms and kissed her passionately. It was hungry to begin with but phased into a soft and love-filled kiss. When we broke apart I rested my forehead against hers, stroking her cheek with my thumb. "I do love you, Rose. I didn't say it just because I was scared we were going to die or whatever, I said it because when you were gone I didn't think of anything other than getting you back. I love you so much." She held me close and I hugged her. "And you're right... I am scared." Rose closed her eyes and I felt her breath against my lips. "I'm scared that I'm going to say the wrong thing... say something I shouldn't. I don't want to die, Rose, but I don't want to go along with what they're doing." I bit down on my lip hard.

"Was there anything in your vows, anything at all that might suggest that you can't tell us who put you up to this?"

"I... don't think so..."

"Then why don't you tell us? Tell the Aurors, my dad... tell me."

"It's not that simple." I said and Rose pulled away from me. I took her hands in mine. "You just... don't understand the position I'm in right now."

"I'm trying to understand Scorpius, but I can't unless you tell me everything you can."

"If I do, you'll go blabbing to your parents, and I can't risk something bad happening as a result of that. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to the school or to your family or to you. I'm not going to lose you again."

"I won't. If you don't want me to say anything then I won't. I trust that you know what you're doing and I know that you're smart enough to work through these vows. You'll get through this, but you can't do it alone."

I buried my face in my hands then ran my fingers through my hair exasperated. I reached for the folded up letter and opened it up, handing it to Rose. I watched her face and she looked confused, but she took it.

I looked as she read the words, her eyes moving from left to right. She didn't say anything when she finished reading, she just folded it up and placed it back on the table. "Your... dad..."

I nodded.

"He's..."

I nodded.

"And the vow... it was him?"

I nodded.

"I lost my mother a few months ago and now I've lost my father too." I felt Rose's hand on mine.

"You need to send the letter or else you'll break your vow, Scorpius." Rose said and I placed the letter in the envelope and stood up, walking to the window where my owl was sat in his cage. I reached in and very gently stroked his feathers to wake him up, which he did. He looked up at me, cooed and he took the letter in his beak. I opened the window and let him out, watching him fly off into the distance – knowing that right then in that second I was a villain. I had betrayed the Aurors.

Rose stood up and approached me from behind, standing beside me as we both looked out the window. It reminded me of New Year's Eve, before the attack on the school. We'd stood looking out at the sky and the castle side by side. "I wish you could tell me what they're planning."

"You know I can't. I'll die."

"I know." She said sadly and I put my arm around her shoulder. She rested against me as we both still stared at the dark night's sky. "I'll help you as much as I can though. I'll figure it out for myself from what I know and from what you didn't tell me about the resurrection stone. I'm here for you, and we'll do this together."

"Rose, if you help me, you'll be betraying your family and the entire wizarding world. I hate it but I'm on their side now until I get this done."

"I don't care. You'll do what you need to, and I will help. I refuse to risk your life. I thought I'd lost you when you didn't come back and I am not losing you again."

I turned to look at her and she looked up at me. I held her around the waist and she still had her bed sheet draped over her shoulders. "I love you." I said, resting my forehead down against hers.

"I love you too."