Chapter 28: It's Over

The rest of the night was pretty much a blur. I remembered Albus and Rose's father dragging me out of the hideaway and sparks flying out from wands of Aurors and Death Eaters. They fought their way out of the building with me limply running between them. Everywhere I looked it felt like there was nothingness. It was just... empty. I felt empty. It was hard to describe just how lifeless and vacant my mind felt. It's funny really – I'm not the one who died, but I felt like a ghost amongst the fighting.

When we were a safe distance from the hide-away, Rose's father instructed Albus to fly away, back to his home, which I'd visited a few times, and was only about an hour and a half away from where we were. Albus climbed on his broom and Rose's father helped me on behind him. He patted me on the back, kissed Albus on the top of his head and apparated away, presumably back into the hideaway for Rose and his wife. Albus kicked off the ground and then we were in the air, the cold icy wind hitting me sharply in the face as we flew high above the fields and towns we passed. We didn't say a word to each other the entire ride back and I couldn't stop thinking about everyone and everything that had happened these last few months. My mother, my father, the stone, the vow... Rose. It was all too much. Six months ago I was sitting in my Potions class, laughing with my friends and the biggest worry I had was finishing my homework late while I scowled at know-it-all Rose across the room and now... everything is different and always will be. We were sat in silence yet my thoughts were deafening.

Before I knew it, Albus was flying down to the ground in the garden behind his house. I climbed off the broom at the same time that he did and he dropped it to the ground before pulling me into a long and tight hug. "I don't know what to say." He said to me and I didn't say anything back. I couldn't even cry. I felt sad but at the same time I didn't feel anything. "What you did back there, I don't think anyone, even you, expected it..." He went on, pulling me toward his home and opening the sliding glass back door that lead to the kitchen. The kitchen was lit up and there was a broom sweeping on its own, dishes washing themselves and an iron moving back and forth by itself ironing some white shirts. Albus walked through the kitchen and into the lounge where his mother was sat reading the Daily Prophet – which she writes for.

She looked up and rushed across the room, grabbing Albus and pulling him into a tight hug. "Albus!" She said, squeezing him tightly. "Where's your dad? Or Ron or Hermione?" She asked frantically. They must have sent her a letter to explain what was going on tonight. I looked at them both, as I stood awkwardly in the empty arch that separated their kitchen and lounge. "Scorpius..." She said, walking over to me and hugging me too. "You both look so pale, what happened?" Ginny asked and I stayed silent, looking down at the ground. I felt Albus walk toward me and he pulled my wand and the resurrection stone out of his pockets and handed them to me.

"I grabbed them before we escaped." He said and I took them. He led me to the sofa and I sat down, staring at the blazing fire that was lit in their fireplace in the centre of the wall. "I'm... gonna go get you some water." He said and walked with his mother into the kitchen. I could hear them whispering – I assumed Albus was filling her in on what had happened. I heard snippets of their hushed conversation.

"Rose broke our cover-"

"Is she alright?"

"She was hit by a cruciatus curse. Aunt Hermione stayed-"

"Where's your dad?"

"He stayed. Dad would never leave a battle."

"What about Draco? Your dad told me he-"

"He's dead."

I heard her gasp.

"Scorpius killed him."