Chapter 28

A loud scream echoed from the Northern tower of the castle, where the royal family slept, shattering the peace and quiet of the still autumn morning.

Nathan was sweeping dried leaves when the sound reverberated across the corridor by the courtyard. Dread filled him as he imagined the worst possible scenario. Sucking in a breath of fresh air, he tried to calm himself. Maybe someone saw a mouse? Perhaps someone was having a bad dream?

The scream was followed by more screams. A chorus.

Nathan dropped the broom and ran as fast as he could to the king and queen's royal chambers.

By the time he got there, a crowd had already gathered around the double doors leading into the royal chambers. Everyone either had tears blurring their vision or was too preoccupied to notice a dirty gardener watching from behind.

He heard a pair of light footsteps and turned to see Calla and her brother, Cade, running down a flight of stairs. Their eyes were wide and frantic. Their steps didn't slow as they approached the crowd.

"We have a traitor in our midst, Your Highnesses."

Two knights tried to stop the pair of siblings from entering the room. Nathan didn't have to see it to know that it was not a sight for a child or a woman to see.

The young boy tried to squirm out of the knight's tight hold. He clamped his jaw down on the knight's arm, causing the man to jump back in shock and to loosen his grip. Just as he was about to enter the room. Catherine appeared by the doorway and shoved him back. He landed on the ground with a painful thud.

Nathan turned and ran down the other corridor as fast as his legs would take him. He wanted to be out of earshot before the screams and tears started.

He was down two flights of stairs and three corridors but he could still hear the screaming and the sobbing. There was a loud crash of furniture and clangs of metal.

Where is Jase?

Nathan ran to the room where Jase was staying in for the ball. He should have known that Jase was going to get his revenge last night. It was the perfect opportunity. He was already inside the castle. He should have stopped him. He should have told him the truth.

He banged opened the door to the bed chamber, expecting to find it empty. But to his surprise, his cousin was lying in bed.

Is he dead?

A feeling of dread penetrated Nathan's chest as he ran over to shake Jase. The body was warm.

Three shakes later, Jase jerked upright in his bed, banging his forehead against Nathan's. His eyes were bloodshot. Wobbling unsteadily, he opened his mouth to swear but ended up puking all over Nathan's shoes.

"Why are you still here?"

"Why are you here?" Jase countered sharply despite his hungover state. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

"You should be gone! It will take them seconds to find out that you are the traitor. Do you want to die?"

Nathan's eyes widened as guilt consumed him. If he had told Jase that King Damian was innocent, none of this would have happened. "You want to die don't you?"

Jase puked again, draining the alcohol from his system. His eyes were unfocused, confused. "I'm dead aren't I?"

"You will be soon!"

"If I knew you were going to be here with me in Hell for eternity I would have tried harder to make it into heaven."

Nathan stared at his cousin incredulously. "I should just leave you here to die."