Chapter 8

I apologize for the super-duper-ultra late update. I'm sorry. I have been very busy! Anyways, it's finally here!

Enjoy! Vote! Comment! Fan! I want to know what you think!!!

This chapter is dedicated to LandShark! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with the medieval dialog!!! and for checking the overall flow of my story :):)

_______________________________________________________________

_“It’s the perfect time to intervene! Your Majesty,” argued Wolsey, the king’s chief advisor and High Chancellor of Bellerania.

“Remember the last time you said that?” refuted King Damain, referring to the war of conquest that happened six years ago. “Even with their monarchs dead, we lost half our army to the Esyrians and our people were plagued by poverty and illness.”

Under normal circumstances, the King’s Circle met once a month to discuss new policies and address the people’s concern. However, King Damian had called for a sudden meeting with the members of the King’s Circle to deliberate the newly proposed trade agreement.

King Edward of Esyria had acted boldly when he altered the original trade agreement that had been in place since the war of conquest. He increased the prices of raw materials and natural resources which Esyria sold to Bellerania, confident that Bellerania would have no choice but to agree to the proposed changes due to their lack of resources. In addition, even though the quota of imported goods remained unchanged, taxes placed on imported Belleranian goods were doubled to encourage the people of Esyria to buy local products.

“That happened because we acted too late. A mistake that must not be repeated, Your Majesty,” emphasised Wolsey as he stared intently into the king’s eyes.

“No. I agree with His Majesty. We couldn’t defeat Esyria while they were weakened and grieving the death of their monarchs. What makes you think we can beat them if we attacked again?” questioned a lord.

“If we had launched an attack before King Edward of Esyria invaded us, we might have had a chance to conquer Esyria. Then we wouldn’t be having this discussion right now, Lord Bordex,” Wolsey retaliated as he placed both his clenched fists atop the polished rectangular table in the king’s study.

He made a sweeping movement with his hand to indicate the impeding problems Bellerania had been facing for the past ten years due to lack of resources.

“Sir Wolsey is partially correct, Your Majesty. Now that Esyria has found a secure foothold, they will use every opportunity to bully us into signing agreements that benefit them. We’ll suffer severe consequences if we do not extend our territory to acquire richly blessed lands that can ensure our self-sufficiency,” stated another lord while he leaned forward in his wooden chair.

“I agree. We can’t keep depending on Esyria for resources, Your Majesty,” reasoned Chris, chief knight commander of the King’s Army.

“However,” Chris paused and locked eyes with Wolsey. “Now is not the perfect time for an invasion, Sir Wolsey.”

“First and foremost, it’s predictable. Once we reject the agreement, Esyria will anticipate an attack.”

Chris managed to capture the attention of all the members. Everybody, including the king, was listening raptly and hanging on to his every word. Chris spoke with confidence and wisdom beyond his years.

“Even though they will be severely outnumbered and our army is faster, stronger and well-equipped, the kingdom is strategic in terms of defence. The inner city of Esyria is a natural fortress. It is easy to defend and difficult to conquer. From their elevated position, we can easily be spotted and are vulnerable,” he continued while making eye contact with the other members.