Chapter 9

Dear readers :)

Thank you so much for your patience :) I didn't want to delay this any longer so this hasn't been edited. I apologize for the mistakes and typos.. feel free to point it out. 

Also, please please please vote if you think i deserve it. Any comment/ feedback/ critiques will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

I can only improve if you tell me how!!! so please COMMENT!

____________________________________________________

A week had flown by since King Damian confronted Chris about his feelings towards Catherine. It had been a hectic week and Chris was glad that it was almost over. The Esyrian monarchs had finally left, the trade agreement signed, and his plan was in action.

Eight months, thought Chris anxiously.

A deep crease formed between his eyes from the furrowing of his eyebrows. He frowned worriedly at the large map that took up half the surface of his desk as he analysed the geographical layout of Esyria and its surroundings. The two kingdoms were bordered by a dense forest. Located in the inlands, Bellerania was surrounded by high mountains and small streams. On the other hand, Esyria was situated in an elevated position beside a large body of water. Pinching the bridge of his nose, Chris took a steadying breath and leaned back against his wooden chair.  

A busy schedule coupled with new training plans had left Chris aggravated and exhausted. In addition, the King’s Circle expected him to conjure up an invasion plan in three short weeks. One week had passed, and he still only had a vague idea regarding the attack on Esyria. Moreover, the dispute between Sir Lorax and Sir Erikson’s squad had put a strain on the unity of the King’s Army.

While rolling up the map, Chris’s eyes caught lines of neat italic script on a piece of creased parchment and his buried frustrations came back at full blast.

Dear Catherine,

Your Highness,

Dear Cat,

We’ve known each other since birth. Somewhere along the way, I fell in love with you. You are  

After reading the first line of another attempted love letter, Chris clenched his fist and flung the crumpled letter towards the wastepaper basket. He missed, and the crumpled ball fell to the ground with a silent thud and sat among the other crumpled love letters, poems and love songs.

I can’t do this. How does someone tell his best friend that he is in love with her? Though Chris.

“My apologies, Sir Wolsey. I have other plans for the day. Thank you for the kind offer.”

Chris jerked involuntarily upon hearing Catherine’s polite but firm tone. The metallic clang of Sir Wolsey’s iron-studded boots and the soft squeak of Catherine’s leather boots on the polished marble floor became louder as the pair approached Chris’s study.

Chris and the majority of the members of the King’s Circle were not fond of Sir Wolsey. They viewed him as impulsive and impatient. His suggestions and advice bear fruits immediately but in the long run, they can be severely detrimental to the growth of Bellerania and its people. His spiteful nature and manipulative mind made him a dangerous enemy and a potential threat to Bellerania.

Keep your friends close but your enemies closer. As a result, King Damian permitted Sir Wolsey to retain his position as the king’s advisor and High Chancellor of Bellerania even after the epic failure of the war of conquest, which Sir Wolsey had insisted upon despite the disapproval of the other members. Fortunately, since then, the king began to doubt Sir Wolsey’s proposals and gave priority to the overall discussion of the King’s Circle.