Revelations at Gringotts

Disclaimer: I'm sitting in a huge mansion that has a huge library with tons of books. Oh, damn, I don't have a huge library! Oh well, I guess I didn't write the Harry Potter series then. I'm still using some text directly from the book. Any text I take from the book will be in bold.

Chapter Two: Revelations at Gringotts

One summer morning, there was an unusually horrible smell in the kitchen. It seemed to be coming from a large metal tub in the sink. He went to have a look. The tub was full of dirty rags swimming in gray water.

"What's this?" he asked Aunt Petunia. Her lips tightened as they always did if he dared to ask a question.

"Your school uniform," she said.

He looked at the bowl again. He was about to respond with a witty comment when he realized it wouldn't go over to well with his Aunt, so he forced his mouth to stay shut.

He was glad he wasn't going to Stonewall High, which was the school he would've gone to if he wasn't a wizard. While his life was very dangerous and his named was constantly being smeared by the public, he slept in a comfortable bed, didn't work like a slave, had good food to eat, and most importantly, he had his best friends, Ron and Hermione. Friends were something he never would've had if he went to Stonewall.

Dudley and Uncle Vernon came in, both with wrinkled noses because of the smell from Harry's new uniform. Uncle Vernon opened his newspaper as usual and Dudley banged his Smelting stick, which he carried everywhere, on the table.

They heard the click of the mail slot and flop of letters on the doormat.

"Get the mail, Dudley" said Uncle Vernon from behind his paper.

"Make Harry get it."

He wanted to get the mail, but he didn't want to give away this fact, so he said "Make Dudley get it."

"Poke him with your Smelting stick, Dudley."

After having faced Voldemort many times, he found dodging a slow, obese too be quite easy. He went to get the mail and found three things laying on the doormat: a postcard from Uncle Vernon's sister Marge, who was vacationing on the Isle of Wight, a brown envelope that looked like a bill, and— his Hogwarts letter.

He quickly tucked the letter up his shirt, making sure it wasn't visible while his shirt was covering it and carried the other two letters into the kitchen.

"What were you doing, checking for letter bomb?" Uncle Vernon questioned, chuckling at his own joke. "Get the mail faster next time, boy!"

"Yes, Uncle Vernon," Harry replied, knowing there wouldn't be a next time.

Uncle Vernon ripped open the bill, snorted in disgust, and flipped over the postcard.

"Marge's ill," he informed Aunt Petunia. "Ate a funny whelk. Says she's never going back again, that all the people there were quite rude to her. Maybe we should go somewhere else next summer."

Harry tried to hold back a snort. People being rude to her? More likely she was being rude to them and she took offense to the fact that she couldn't speak crap about someone to their face and not get reprimanded for it. She was one of the most intolerable women he had ever met, and he had met plenty of them.