Chapter 12

Chapter 12 Erik's POV

The lower my stack of bills got, the more I wondered where Gustave was. True, I knew that he had a choir practice, but it never ran this late. It was already nine o'clock. On nights he had practice, he was usually home by eight. I began to worry something might have happened to him. It was starting to rain heavily, and I grew more concerned.

I had finally gotten through every payment when Gustave stumbled through the door. He started shaking his wet coat off and he ripped his shoes off hoping that I wouldn't notice that he still had them on. I brightened the gas lamp, cleared my throat, and stood.

Gustave suddenly noticed me. His wild hair was sticking up, and he had a smudge of mud on his cheek. He stopped moving and downcast his eyes. He knew that he was in trouble.

"Squelch said that you were to be expected back at eight. It is now nine-thirty. Do you care to tell me what was so important that you had to worry me like that?"

Gustave shuffled his feet. "I'm sorry, Papa. Practice ran late, and I kind of got caught up with this girl from school."

"A girl?" I was in complete shock. Gustave had never mentioned anyone from school.

He blushed. "Yes, Papa, her name is Elaina. She is a friend of mine."

"I see," I said, "Did this Elaina know that you were expected home?"

"No, Papa, she didn't. I promise I won't let it happen again."

"That's all I ask of you, Gustave. Now, go wash up, eat something, and go to bed. Tomorrow is Saturday, and I had planned on us going to the beach for a little while. Does that sound alright?"

Gustave had a rather nervous expression on his face. I wasn't sure if it was because I had reprimanded him or because he had never learned how to swim. Nevertheless, he said it sounded fine, and he went and did as I ordered. I hated reprimanding Gustave, but he was a very stubborn young man. I suppose he had received that quality was from me.

I didn't feel much like sleeping. I took a quick bath and sat down at the piano for a little while. I played some of my older pieces, but I couldn't write anything. I suppose there had been nothing to inspire me lately unless, there was some magical way of letting money and bills be a muse. I paced back and forth for most of the night. I sang a couple of arias. I needed a muse. I needed something to help me write. That's when I remembered something. I remembered the painting.

I went into my room and pulled back the black curtain that covered the oval frame. Fortunately, it had not been devastated by the fire from so long ago. I touched her face. That was all I needed. I needed to remember what she felt like. I covered the painting back up, went back to the piano, and began writing. By the time Gustave's alarm went off, I was finished. I imagined Christine's voice dancing across the notes. It was perfect, although, it brought tears to my eyes to know that she would never sing it.

Gustave came in the main living area with some casual clothes on and said that he was ready to go. I thought for a second. I thought about how I had never overcome my fear of the light or of people seeing me. True, it was too late for me, but I was not going to let Gustave grow up to be afraid of things.

"You're not ready," I said to him.

Gustave looked at me confused.

"We're going to the beach," I said smiling, "Put on a bathing suit. We're going swimming."

Gustave began to object, but I hushed him up. He soon returned in a blue and white striped suit. "I look ridiculous," said Gustave.

"Nonsense," said I. "You're always a handsome lad!"