Chapter 20

Chapter 20 Erik's POV

Ok, question time! I have a third LND fanfic on stand-by. This one is in Christine's POV. Let me know if you would be interested in reading it. – E.B.

I spent the day teaching Gustave about all of the mechanics to all of my greatest inventions. He had seemed so excited about learning the trade just earlier that week, but he seemed to be distant that day. I asked him if something was going on, but he never answered me. It wasn't like him to keep to himself unless he was extremely upset.

"Gustave, you're worrying me," I said. "Tell me what the matter is."

"Nothing's the matter, Papa. I'm right as rain," he answered smiling.

"Then what's gotten into you, my boy? You seem so distant."

He wiped the grease off of his hands from the machine he was working on and kissed my unmasked cheek like he did when he was a small boy. "I think you're just becoming a cranky old man," he teased.

I sighed. "Your old man has always been cranky, but this isn't me being irritable. This is me being worried about my only son. Now tell me. What's gotten into you?"

"I just miss Mother," he said looking down at his feet. "I know we haven't talked about her in a while, but I just miss talking to her. She understood things. I wish I had her to give me advice."

"Gustave, you know I'm always here if you need to talk about something," I said as I clasped his shoulder.

He exhaled another sigh. "I know you are. It's just that you never went to school or had a girlfriend or did normal things. I love you terribly, Papa, but it just doesn't feel right asking you."

My own flesh and blood had denied me. True, he was correct. I hadn't led the most conventional life, but it still hurt that he felt like he couldn't tell me about what he was having so much trouble with. "Gustave, I know that I never had those experiences, but I am your father. Your best interests are in my heart. I may not give you the most conventional advice, but I do know what's best for you. It's your choice to take my guidance or not. What's the harm in simply asking?"

"You're right," he said sadly. "I'm sorry, Papa."

Even though he had hurt my feelings, I didn't' want to make him think that he had upset me when it was really just a quick shock to the heart. "There's nothing to be sorry about, my boy."

"Papa, I composed a song."

"That's wonderful!" I said still fooling with the gears in my machine. "Could you hand me that wrench, son?"

He did as I asked. "It's just, I had this burst of inspiration, and I really think that it's the best thing that I've composed."

"Is that right? Well, if this inspiration is keeping you so occupied, then I think you should keep it around."

"Really? But what if she decides she doesn't want me around?"

I knew this day was coming, and I had to admit that I had rather dreaded the thought. "She?" I couldn't help but smile as I saw his cheeks turn a pale shade of red. "So this new inspiration is a girl huh?"

He nodded timidly.

"Well," I said, "Believe it or not, your old man does have a bit of experience on that topic."

He gave me a half smile. "Then, can you give me your advice?" he said mockingly.

"I will not."

He looked at me with a mask of anger and confusion across his face.